Newbie's first build

halblah
Go to solution Solved by brob,
42 minutes ago, Sb2333 said:

1. the X470 motherboard I selected is a bit over my budget, and I know that B350 needs BIOS update and B450 ain't out yet. But do I have any other option that could save me some money? Is the BIOS update complicated to do?

2. If possible, I would like to shave another 50-100 off my estimated price. What can I do? Ex. a cheaper(without losing too much quality) power supply or cheaper fans?

3. mid tower size is kinda big, and since I don't need an optical drive or hdd, can I go with a smaller case?

4. when do parts usually go on sale?

5. Anything I need to keep in mind?

1. BIOS updates are not that difficult. However, (with the exception of some Asus motherboards), one needs a cpu that works with the old BIOS to do the update. Most motherboard manufacturers released updated BIOS at the end of January. As a general rule newly manufactured motherboards have the latest BIOS. But if one does get an incompatible BIOS AMD has a solution, see https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx.
  2. Drop 2 of the fans. Pick a less expensive ssd, Western Digital - Blue 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive or something even less expensive. Get a slightly less expensive gpu, MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card. Get a slightly lower capacity psu, still more than enough for the build, Rosewill - Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply.
  3. I'm not aware of any mATX X470 motherboards so mATX cases are out. There are mini-ITX motherboards but they and mini-ITX cases are out of budget. There may be smaller mid-Tower cases, but they would also be out of budget.
  4. Thanksgiving both Canadian and US are usual times.
  5. Faster memory really helps Ryzen cpu.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($244.99 @ Memory Express) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($172.75 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($186.33 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($125.75 @ shopRBC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($529.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.95 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: Rosewill - Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master - SickleFlow (Red) 69.7 CFM  120mm Fan  ($9.75 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $1404.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-20 21:56 EDT-0400

Hello everyone, this is my first time building a game/work pc so any help will be appreciated!!! (PS: im using a 34" 1440P ultrawide)

I've finished my list, but I do have a few questions.

1. the X470 motherboard I selected is a bit over my budget, and I know that B350 needs BIOS update and B450 ain't out yet. But do I have any other option that could save me some money? Is the BIOS update complicated to do?

2. If possible, I would like to shave another 50-100 off my estimated price. What can I do? Ex. a cheaper(without losing too much quality) power supply or cheaper fans?

3. mid tower size is kinda big, and since I don't need an optical drive or hdd, can I go with a smaller case?

Any help would do, thanks guys.

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/p38yV6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/p38yV6/by_merchant/

Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($172.75 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($186.33 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($163.25 @ shopRBC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($549.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 
Power Supply: Rosewill - Capstone 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $1491.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-20 20:45 EDT-0400

A lot of stuff so I'll answer the easy one right away

3. No. You have an ATX motherboard that will only fit inside ATX cases which most of them are the same size

I'll get working on the others.

4. You missed Prime day!!! Wait until Halloween (possibly) and then black Friday and then Christmas. Keep checking Newegg, eBay and Amazon daily for you to find the best deals.

but can I use a smaller motherboard?

Thanks

1) If you can buy the board in person, you can try checking the BIOS there for a B350. But if I recall correctly, you need another cpu with the latest BIOS to update the BIOS.

2) If you need to shave off some extra $ off your build, you can go with a lower wattage psu (maybe 500 to 600w?), but don't cut the costs on the PSU too much as for it's an essential component. Fans, you can look around for some used ones if need be. If you want to cut prices though, try cutting the case or storage prices. 

3) Yes, you can go with a smaller case, but the next smallest size is m-atx. That requires a different sized mobo and are generally harder to work in as far as cable management goes. Also, non-atx motherboards are less common, and therefore upgrading the mobo later on while keeping the case will be challenging. 

4) You just missed prime day and Newegg sales. The next best time will probably be right before and right after the new nvidia and new Intel cpu's are announced.

5) It's definitely a solid build. If you can't afford some hardware, remember that you can always upgrade later on.

Edit: You can also cut some costs by going with used components. Hardware like cases, cpu fans, working ram, and working motherboards are components that should be fine getting used as long as they are functional and kept in good condition. Don't go with used gpu's or cpu's unless you want to pick up old mining hardware. 

Edited by Airdragonz

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

2. No. Don't downgrade anything. I would upgrade your PSU but it is just a bit of OCD from me so nvm

5. YES!!! Please ground yourself to a large metal object that has direct contact to the floor my touching it when building your own pc. This can stop static electricity from your body to fry all of your nice components! Also if you change something spec wise, Make sure that it still has compatibility

1. If you are going over budget with your ATX mobo, then also consider changing to a MATX mobo. This will shave some dollars and will also give you the possibility to buy a smaller case

P.S sorry i didn't write them all together 

42 minutes ago, Sb2333 said:

1. BIOS updates are not that difficult. However, (with the exception of some Asus motherboards), one needs a cpu that works with the old BIOS to do the update. Most motherboard manufacturers released updated BIOS at the end of January. As a general rule newly manufactured motherboards have the latest BIOS. But if one does get an incompatible BIOS AMD has a solution, see https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx.
  2. Drop 2 of the fans. Pick a less expensive ssd, Western Digital - Blue 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive or something even less expensive. Get a slightly less expensive gpu, MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card. Get a slightly lower capacity psu, still more than enough for the build, Rosewill - Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply.
  3. I'm not aware of any mATX X470 motherboards so mATX cases are out. There are mini-ITX motherboards but they and mini-ITX cases are out of budget. There may be smaller mid-Tower cases, but they would also be out of budget.
  4. Thanksgiving both Canadian and US are usual times.
  5. Faster memory really helps Ryzen cpu.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($125.75 @ shopRBC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($529.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Rosewill - Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $1404.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-20 21:56 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.