Laptop for photo editing & game dev work.

Australia - Budget is flexible, AUD$2000 as a starting point, will go higher for options that fit needs. Not against opening up a laptop that will need changes (removing Killer networking chips, adding another ram stick, replacing storage). I've replaced CPU coolers in desktops so if a re-paste in a laptop is a similar experience then that's okay too. A few extra thermal pads needing to be added is okay too. I've never undervolted before but I hear that's pretty simple.

Hi. I've been looking around reviews and store listings for laptops which would be used for the following tasks:
Photo editing (Lightroom), not working with clients so this is mostly a hobby. Some game dev work. currently working with Unity, Maya, Adobe Suite. May look into teaching myself UE4 later on. Some work on my own and some work with teams and for uni. 

I own a desktop (i5 4590, 970) so the laptop doesn't need to replace it. I just need something I can take with me to uni to use on campus between classes (computer labs are the class rooms really so I can't use those easily when another class is running) and when working with team members on group projects. The uni work coincides with the game dev needs. Although I'd be taking it with me to campus or when meeting up with working partners, I'm not against something a bit bulkier and heavier than the thin & light options. For me a larger laptop would be 2.5 KG in weight, 3cm in thickness. Give or take a little here or there.

I assume that specs like a 7300, 7700, 8300 for the CPU would be more than enough for me. For the GPU a 1050ti should be fine too. I don't intend to push the latest AAA games on this device, and the games I would be involved in making aren't likely to be too intensive either. Since I have my desktop, this isn't going to be a main gaming device. I'm sure I'd appreciate something in the 1060 range and I wouldn't turn my nose up to that but I understand to satisfy other needs I have to forfeit some performance. I don't think I wanna go below a 1050 though.

For the screen, a wider colour gamut would be appreciated. There are some options out there that are plagued by 50~60% sRGB screens. I know I can change it my self after purchase but I've not yet found domestic stores for laptop screens. Importing raises concerns for anything that could go wrong with the new panel as I'm not covered by local consumer laws. Battery life is another factor. Longer battery run times for web browsing and video watching are desired. I don't mind if it's a matte or glass cover but for matte screens, I prefer lighter AG coatings, so very hard grainy coatings are a turn off. (That's picky, I know)

Spoiler below for Australian online stores.

Spoiler

Local stores:

https://www.centrecom.com.au/

https://www.pccasegear.com/

https://www.scorptec.com.au/

https://www.kongcomputers.com/

https://www.affordablelaptops.com.au/
https://www.umart.com.au
https://www.mwave.com.au
Our Clevo built option:
https://www.metabox.com.au/

I'm not against getting a refurb or clearance item. The stock changes a lot but I have looked at the outlet stores from brands like Dell, Lenovo and Apple. The only brand I'd outright refuse is Razer. I'd sooner by a new Mac than something from them.

For what it's worth, my previous laptop experience comes from a 2013 Macbook Pro, 15". The display is nice and the battery still can hold up fine and in its earlier years the life it gave was very good. I disliked how hot it got when launching any game and the high pitched and loud fans were annoying, even 2D games made it hot. I am fine to get something thicker and heavier if it means sparing me from those same annoyances.

Spoiler below has some considerations I've already made.

Spoiler

Considered a couple of options. XPS 15 seemed like a natural progression from the rMBP. But it too has thermal issues, nice screen options though and configurations with the larger battery fulfil the battery life needs. Since the new models came out, I could get lucky with a clerance model from last gen. If some extra work can get the thermals down then it may be a contender. I have heard the 1050 in it has a thermal limit of 78c causing it to throttle easily...
Dell AU still sell the Inspiron 7567 (7300/7700HQ, 1050ti, 76whr battery), this would be a screen swap option which brings the aforementioned anxieties to it. But it could give good battery life and better thermals.

Thanks for any help! I know some requirements here are a bit picky and laptops are devices where a user has to make a compromise here or there. I get it's probably an awkward time to be shopping too as some manufactures are probably still yet to release all their newest offerings with 8th gen CPUs. Still, any advice or user experience is appreciated.

Give me a few minutes, I'm looking at it

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

You can get a decent one for under 2k AUD. For uni use I'll prefer light weight

All with CFL-H CPU:

MSI GP63 - check whether it has 120HZ panel

HP Omen DC - 144Hz panel only available in higher priced variants

HP Pavilion Gaming - OK-good build quality and cooling, optional 4K panel

Metabox N950TP - desktop CPU, a little bulky, OK-good build quality and cooling

Metabox P950EP - mediocre cooling due to thin profile (needs LM)

Some options have either bad cooling or lower build quality (or both), therefore I didn't include them. Remember to undervolt CPU+GPU, 8750H is a hot chip

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

37 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

You can get a decent one for under 2k AUD. For uni use I'll prefer light weight

All with CFL-H CPU:

MSI GP63 - check whether it has 120HZ panel

HP Omen DC - 144Hz panel only available in higher priced variants

HP Pavilion Gaming - OK-good build quality and cooling, optional 4K panel

Metabox N950TP - desktop CPU, a little bulky, OK-good build quality and cooling

Metabox P950EP - mediocre cooling due to thin profile (needs LM)

Some options have either bad cooling or lower build quality (or both), therefore I didn't include them. Remember to undervolt CPU+GPU, 8750H is a hot chip

Some cool options. I was hoping the P65x range from Clevo would see an 8th gen revision but it seems to have vanished. I can still get a p641hk which has a 7700hq and a 1050ti, but it has a small 45whr battery. 

I've never looked at HP before. A few stores in my city have all sorts of laptops on display so hopefully they have the ones you listed for me to try out in person. And fingers crossed it's those higher refresh rate displays. I'm curious to see what the new breed of 120/144hz TN laptop screens are like as when looking at NBC reviews, they seem to do really well for colour gamut and contrast. It's been years since I used a TN panel so I'd have to see how these new ones would handle off axis viewing. I have seen a couple of IPS panels with higher refresh rates that also do well too, but that's super recent and not too common.

Thanks for the response. Indeed, this new 6 core i7 does seem hot. I do wish more mid sized offerings retained the nicer screens and longer battery life we see in the XPS, Macbook Pro or Gigabyte Aero offerings. (I have considered the Aero 14 v8 but it seems like it would face the same thermal issues as the XPS)

You can also look for Dell G5/G7 with UHD panel

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

18 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

You can also look for Dell G5/G7 with UHD panel

Could be cool, those G series laptops seem to be a bit more durable and well cooled. From what I've heard those panels in the Inpsiron/G range do have a good colour gamut coverage. In Australia there seems to be no option to configure the G series laptops with it though. Maybe I could ask some Dell support contact about it to see if a custom order is doable. 

52 minutes ago, FoxyOrange said:

From what I've heard those panels in the Inpsiron/G range do have a good colour gamut coverage

only the UHD models

Desktop specs:

Spoiler