Mobile computing (ugh)

So back in October I bought an Acer Nitro 5. I needed something so that I could edit while being away from home. Also since I'm away from home from time to time being able to game on it was a plus. I often take my laptop to work with me as well, I take it with me to meetings and such since I HATE taking notes for an extended period of time on my phone. Now I've come to the point where I find my laptop too much of a hassle to take around with me. 

So I've been considering getting something in the surface  line or an iPad. Problem is concerning specs (at least when it comes to the surface). I have no issue determining the best specs for higher end things but I don't really know where to draw the line with things that don't need a lot of power. Most of what I imagine I'll be using this device for will be excel sheets, note taking, watching videos and movies. I think I'm leaning more towards the surface for a few reasons. My laptop and desktop both have windows 10., I like multitasking on windows better. I know the iPad is fine but it just feels more natural on windows. I hope that makes sense? Plus I might add a second desk setup to my apartment where I'd like to dock the surface while I'm home but I'm not closed to the idea of getting an iPad. 

So all suggestions welcome EXCEPT for the Surface Laptop.

I'd like reccomended specs and my "budget" well I'm not sure yet but Ideally 1200 USD or less? I think I'm asking a lot here lol.

Thank you all so much!

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

If you can give up on gaming, then the new surface go is a good option. Though it is new, so no reviews yet. Spec wise is good for "excel sheets, note taking, watching videos and movies" But keyboard and pen are not included so extra $2XX, so the total should be around 7XX+tax. It uses USB-C for charging so it will be easy to find a charger and not need to carry another adapter

1 hour ago, TLCH723 said:

If you can give up on gaming, then the new surface go is a good option. Though it is new, so no reviews yet. Spec wise is good for "excel sheets, note taking, watching videos and movies" But keyboard and pen are not included so extra $2XX, so the total should be around 7XX+tax. It uses USB-C for charging so it will be easy to find a charger and not need to carry another adapter

Yeah I kind of thought about the Surface GO. I might be leaning more toward the Surface Book. Would you personally buy a device like this refub or second hand? I usually don't get high end tech products refubed or 2nd hand BUT I did recently buy a refurbished TCL TV and I've had no issues with it. I just get really ancey , ancie? Jittery lol,before buying something like this. Took me almost 6 months to plan my last PC build. 

EDIT: Also that processor in the Surface GO is only a dual core. I use chrome at work usually with 5+ tabs open several of which are google drive. And I'm kind of looking to do some heavy multi tasking 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

16 minutes ago, mbryant said:

snip

Where are you going to buy the refurb? Places, like Dell Outlet, have a no question ask return policy and provide you a shipping label which is good.

Do you need the tablet function, ie without keyboard? Or one that flip over work for you too?

3 minutes ago, TLCH723 said:

Where are you going to buy the refurb? Places, like Dell Outlet, have a no question ask return policy and provide you a shipping label which is good.

Do you need the tablet function, ie without keyboard? Or one that flip over work for you too?

That was the thing about the Surface Book. The keyboard detaches which is great and could save space on my desk. I could probably get away with a surface pro or something but I like how well the design of the book works. I considered browsing CL or Ebay for a book but buying electronics that way isn't usually for me. I pretty much just started researching this when I wrote the post in the first place. I even considered selling my laptop and using the money from that to go toward whatever I buy. Decisions are hard. 

Is 2 in 1 convertible OK to you? Also, what's your preferred battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 7/19/2018 at 10:01 PM, ZM Fong said:

Is 2 in 1 convertible OK to you? Also, what's your preferred battery life?

I've considered it. I think the tablet function might be crucial but I looked at and played with a surface laptop yesterday and fell in love with it. 

I suppose a 2 in 1 could work if it wasn't bulky. My main issue with my Acer Nitro 5 is the bulk. It's not something I enjoy carrying with me into meetings. 

Plus I just realized whatever I end up getting I'll also be using when I play board games and all that. 

EDIT: As for battery life, 4 - 6 hours minimum? I don't ask for a lot lol 

6 hours ago, mbryant said:

snip

Depending on your preference on weight and GPU, you can get Yoga 730/720 15 with 1050 GPU for under 2kg. XPS 15 9575 also not bad. There are some 2 in 1s with dGPU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128