Loud beep

I'm trying to mess around in a console-based Linux, so no gui. But my Dell laptop keeps beeping for simple things like hitting an enter and such. It wouldn't be such a big issue, but it's kind of unpredictable sometimes, and it's so loud that probably even my neighbours can hear it. In short, it's giving me jumpscares, I don't fancy it, and don't want to hear this sound ever again in my life.

I found a round black thingy attached to the motherboard with a few cables. Is that it? There's no way it's coming from the speakers, it's so loud.

Oh, and there's no way to turn it off in the bios, so..

that beep means wrong input. It could be an Enter when you shouldn't, a backspace at the beginning of the line, etc.

You could disconnect the speaker or just tape it to soften the sound.

On 7/19/2018 at 3:38 AM, za1234ki said:

I'm trying to mess around in a console-based Linux, so no gui. But my Dell laptop keeps beeping for simple things like hitting an enter and such. It wouldn't be such a big issue, but it's kind of unpredictable sometimes, and it's so loud that probably even my neighbours can hear it. In short, it's giving me jumpscares, I don't fancy it, and don't want to hear this sound ever again in my life.

I found a round black thingy attached to the motherboard with a few cables. Is that it? There's no way it's coming from the speakers, it's so loud.

Oh, and there's no way to turn it off in the bios, so..

Maybe send a picture of this round black thingy? I'm not exactly sure because words can't always paint a picture. If anything, it could be the buzzer, or it could be the CMOS battery, so be on the safe side and just leave it be (send a picture if you could and I may be able to tell)

On 7/18/2018 at 9:33 PM, faziten said:

that beep means wrong input. It could be an Enter when you shouldn't, a backspace at the beginning of the line, etc.

You could disconnect the speaker or just tape it to soften the sound.

Thanks for the advice. Turns out the PC speaker is built into the normal speakers, so I just disconnected the whole thing, and now I can enjoy perfect silence while in the terminal. :D

On 7/20/2018 at 12:19 AM, SZ1357 said:

Maybe send a picture of this round black thingy? I'm not exactly sure because words can't always paint a picture. If anything, it could be the buzzer, or it could be the CMOS battery, so be on the safe side and just leave it be (send a picture if you could and I may be able to tell)

It's the CMOS battery, I was just blinded by the rage caused by those beeps. :P It's all good and dead-silent now.