Looking for recovery software

Hi,

I've recently tried a fix for a problem but instead of solving it, Windows only shows a blackscreen now. I'm still trying to fix that but I'm not very confident. So I've already thought about wiping everything and a clean Windows installation. The most important files and folders are already backupped, However, I know that some important stuff is only saved on that PC, since these files and folders are nothing vital but I wouldn't wanna lose them if there's an acceptable way to save them.

I guess that I'll need some kind of bootable recovery software which is able to copy the files and folders (or the entire drive, doesn't matter) from the system on my external HDD. I've already searched a little bit but most of these free tools seem very confusing. Any suggestions?

The most easiest way is to just literally take the drive out, if it's not password locked. Then slap it into another computer with Windows and copy the files over, then remember to take ownership of the new files when you re-install Windows. I always do this when I have issues with Windows and I need to get the important files off the main drive. Or if you have another spare drive to install Windows on and add the old drive with the old Windows installation and then copy those files off there.

1 hour ago, IMhereNOW said:

Hi,

I've recently tried a fix for a problem but instead of solving it, Windows only shows a blackscreen now. I'm still trying to fix that but I'm not very confident. So I've already thought about wiping everything and a clean Windows installation. The most important files and folders are already backupped, However, I know that some important stuff is only saved on that PC, since these files and folders are nothing vital but I wouldn't wanna lose them if there's an acceptable way to save them.

I guess that I'll need some kind of bootable recovery software which is able to copy the files and folders (or the entire drive, doesn't matter) from the system on my external HDD. I've already searched a little bit but most of these free tools seem very confusing. Any suggestions?

Just get into the windows recovery environment and you should be able to fix it from there.

For 10 and 8.1

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-boot-advanced-startup-options-windows-10-a.html

Option 5 is probably the easiest if you cant get windows to boot from the drive at all.

For 7 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-the-windows-7-recovery-environment/

This teaches you how to use the DISM and sfc commands to repair a corrupted windows install.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026030/how-to-use-windows-recovery-environment-winre-to-troubleshoot-common-s

Once you have windows back up and running its probably a good idea to run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth from an administrator command prompt. Once that finishes, do sfc /scannow again as well.

1 hour ago, Amazonsucks said:

Just get into the windows recovery environment and you should be able to fix it from there.

For 10 and 8.1

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-boot-advanced-startup-options-windows-10-a.html

Option 5 is probably the easiest if you cant get windows to boot from the drive at all.

For 7 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-the-windows-7-recovery-environment/

This teaches you how to use the DISM and sfc commands to repair a corrupted windows install.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026030/how-to-use-windows-recovery-environment-winre-to-troubleshoot-common-s

Once you have windows back up and running its probably a good idea to run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth from an administrator command prompt. Once that finishes, do sfc /scannow again as well.

Thanks for your in-depth help :)

I've already tried some of these commands using the advandced start up options (I'm using a USB drive for that). However, they didn't work as they should for me, most of the time I got error messages like these:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.

The requested System device can not be found.

Unfortunately, the same happens when I try the commands from your link. I've got no idea why that always happens. Here's also a picture (sorry for the bad quality). I also don't know why it complains about memory resources, there should be more than enough. And thanks again for the information. 

win2.thumb.jpg.07ac093132cd446e167255e4b1c32a52.jpg

Is your RAM or C drive broken? Idk why it would give that error due to simple file corruption.

19 hours ago, IMhereNOW said:

Macrium Reflect Free gives you possibility to create bootable USB. Of course you'll need some working OS to prepare that USB, but after that you may backup your not working system (whole partition) and then install Macrium Reflect on new working Windows. After that, you'll have possibility to mount that backup file as normal Windows device and browse it, copy files etc.