dual wan setup

pomkon

I recently got a 1000mbps plan from another isp B on top of my exisiting 100mbps plan from ISP A. these 2 plans will overlap for at least 1 year.

I have ac68u. I have a mini pc with 2 giga port 1037u cpu.

currently the 100mpbs goes throught the 4 giga port modem they provided, then to my ac68u.

the 1000mbps requires no modem inhouse.

How can i use both wlan?

Suggestions and options readily available to me are draytek 2925 or 2952, or a 4 giga port mini pc with d525 cpu. what should me setup be?

the 2 port 1037u mini pc was first meant to be used as a firewall, using pfscene to block all those adds. I have many ipads and mobiles in the house that cant block ads easily, and im told this is solution. also those hard to block ads from chinese websites. However it is not setup yet.

pfSense can do the dual wan, just need 3 ports, WAN #'1, WAN#'2, LAN#1

You can load balance inbound and outbound, I have 2 WAN connections and one is used for downloading and high bandwidth apps the other is low latency for gaming/voip etc.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

3 hours ago, pomkon said:

I recently got a 1000mbps plan from another isp B on top of my exisiting 100mbps plan from ISP A. these 2 plans will overlap for at least 1 year.

I have ac68u. I have a mini pc with 2 giga port 1037u cpu.

currently the 100mpbs goes throught the 4 giga port modem they provided, then to my ac68u.

the 1000mbps requires no modem inhouse.

How can i use both wlan?

Suggestions and options readily available to me are draytek 2925 or 2952, or a 4 giga port mini pc with d525 cpu. what should me setup be?

the 2 port 1037u mini pc was first meant to be used as a firewall, using pfscene to block all those adds. I have many ipads and mobiles in the house that cant block ads easily, and im told this is solution. also those hard to block ads from chinese websites. However it is not setup yet.

As @Falconevo stated PFsense can do this. Ubqitui edge router's can do this too I think. My Synology RT2600AC also an do this, though it eats up a LAN port. The big thing you need to do, is make sure the router can handle Gigabit. While some routers might have the network port, they dont have the horse power under the hood. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 hours ago, Falconevo said:

pfSense can do the dual wan, just need 3 ports, WAN #'1, WAN#'2, LAN#1

You can load balance inbound and outbound, I have 2 WAN connections and one is used for downloading and high bandwidth apps the other is low latency for gaming/voip etc.

Would that d525 cpu have enough power for dual wan?

3 hours ago, pomkon said:

Would that d525 cpu have enough power for dual wan?

It will manage dual WAN, but you might struggle getting it to pull full 1G line rate when you have a number of firewall rules in place or any packages running in pfSense.  Ideally quadcore+ with 4 physical cores.  Give it a try and find out, the D525 isn't overly powerful but it may do the job...  You can boot pfSense from USB if u want to try it and not have to wipe any disks etc.

3 hours ago, Falconevo said:

It will manage dual WAN, but you might struggle getting it to pull full 1G line rate when you have a number of firewall rules in place or any packages running in pfSense.  Ideally quadcore+ with 4 physical cores.  Give it a try and find out, the D525 isn't overly powerful but it may do the job...  You can boot pfSense from USB if u want to try it and not have to wipe any disks etc.

The advantages of draytek is more efficient, Easier to use, and easily handle what speed?

48 minutes ago, pomkon said:

The advantages of draytek is more efficient, Easier to use, and easily handle what speed?

Wouldn't suggest it is easier to use, that's down to personal preference.

It is doubtful the Draytek will do 1G WAN to LAN throughput and handle dual WAN at the same time.  Unfortunately you need processing power to handle it, the D525 might do it if it has Intel network controllers on the mainboard, impossible to say without testing however.  Most 1G+ implementations arent using 'low power' parts.

1 hour ago, pomkon said:

I have to agree with @Falconevo. If you look at PFsenes System requirements it shows you need more powerful hardware for faster speeds. I would assume that would be for any networking appliance. Especially if your running other services on the router. On top of dual WAN. I mean look at consumer routers now days. They be having dual and quad core chips. Its not just a marketing thing, they have figured out people want more from their networking products. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Falconevo said:

Wouldn't suggest it is easier to use, that's down to personal preference.

It is doubtful the Draytek will do 1G WAN to LAN throughput and handle dual WAN at the same time.  Unfortunately you need processing power to handle it, the D525 might do it if it has Intel network controllers on the mainboard, impossible to say without testing however.  Most 1G+ implementations arent using 'low power' parts.

so i won the 2952. the cpu is too weak? its enterprise class?

i can still get the d525, 4 giga intel 82583

5 hours ago, pomkon said:

so i won the 2952. the cpu is too weak? its enterprise class?

i can still get the d525, 4 giga intel 82583

Sorry to break this to you but the Draytek 2952 is not enterprise class at all.  It's in the small business category and the CPU inside it is only a 2core 4thread lantiq chip.  If you want true 1G WAN to LAN speeds with real time packet inspection and then DualWAN rules on top, ideally you need more powerful hardware.

Even the D525 might be too weak, without testing it I wouldn't know.

You might wanna check the spec of that unit again btw, its up to 500Mbit/s throughput WAN to LAN and its SME which is Small/Medium 'Enterprise' which essentially means business.  Enterprise grade firewall and routing equipment is rarely RJ45, RJ45 is generally management connections only, everything else is 10G+ SFP+ or 40G QSFP+

image.png.b7fa4a9ede1db2a30c6214edd8bfb8cd.png