At2020 Xlr vs Blue Yeti USB

NotMrTaco
Go to solution Solved by ninbura,
On 7/11/2018 at 12:26 PM, NotMrTaco said:

Alright, do you have any idea what audio interface would be good with the at2020? I was thinking getting a behringer um2 to save some money, but I think the extra money spent is worth a better interface.

Um2 if you want to get something that's just gonna get you by:
BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UM2

Scarlett Solo if you want something similar to the UM2 but of higher quality + native ASIO support:
https://www.thomannmusic.com/focusrite_scarlett_solo_2nd_gen.htm|

Yamaha AG03 if you want to get some real control over your mic and PC audio:
https://www.thomannmusic.com/yamaha_ag03.htm

If within your maximum budget I would highly suggest the AG03, as stated before it gives you next level control of all your audio. You can adjust the volume of your PC, Mic, and more on the fly while the volume perceived by the computer remains unchanged. Very easy to connect an additional PC or device, multiple ways to connect a headset (3.5mm or 1/4), several awesome input options (just channels 1+2, total mix, or even loopback), and much more. Also allows for compression, eq, and effects via software if you desire. All and all a great mixer / interface. I have tried just about every other mixer below this one in price and never had a good experience, some of them don't even direct all inputs to the phones. I have Incorporated this mixer into several builds for friends and it has been nothing but good experiences.

Edit: According to community guidelines you aren't suppose to use the share button on Amazon / shortened links. I have updated the post to contain appropriate links, apologies for the inconvenience.

I am going to get a new microphone, but I cannot decide between the at2020 xlr mic or the blue yeticaster bundle. I like the yeticaster because it is just plug and play, but I have read some articles that I will not be able to do much with the mic sound, compared to the xlr mic. It would be more expensive with the at2020 xlr mic, but in the end I would have more control of my microphone sounds. What suggestions would you have? My budget is about ~$200

15 hours ago, NotMrTaco said:

I am going to get a new microphone, but I cannot decide between the at2020 xlr mic or the blue yeticaster bundle. I like the yeticaster because it is just plug and play, but I have read some articles that I will not be able to do much with the mic sound, compared to the xlr mic. It would be more expensive with the at2020 xlr mic, but in the end I would have more control of my microphone sounds. What suggestions would you have? My budget is about ~$200

The at2020 XLR is cheaper than the blue Yeti in a direct comparison, so I assume you mean more expensive because the additional interface that is required to run it or what?

You definitely have more control with a XLR mic as you can run it through all sorts of physical compressors, noise gates, EQs, expanders, etc. before it even hits the actual input. Technically you could do this with the Yeti too if you used it's direct monitor port but most would advise against that, not really the intended use. The Yeti has some interesting features like bi-directional and omnidirectional pick up which makes it better suited to pick up multiple sources at once, but for single use I think the at2020 has an edge when paired with the right soundboard or interface (I do believe it sounds better in general). I ran with a blue yeti for several years and only outgrew it when I wanted an interface with more features, not necessarily a new mic, although I would argue at this point in time that dynamic mics are superior voice chat and commentary.

All depends on your use case and if you want to take things up notch, I believe the Yeti cuts it for most people and their needs.

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

25 minutes ago, TheAgnda said:

The at2020 XLR is cheaper than the blue Yeti in a direct comparison, so I assume you mean more expensive because the additional interface that is required to run it or what?

You definitely have more control with a XLR mic as you can run it through all sorts of physical compressors, noise gates, EQs, expanders, etc. before it even hits the actual input. Technically you could do this with the Yeti too if you used it's direct monitor port but most would advise against that, not really the intended use. The Yeti has some interesting features like bi-directional and omnidirectional pick up which makes it better suited to pick up multiple sources at once, but for single use I think the at2020 has an edge when paired with the right soundboard or interface (I do believe it sounds better in general). I ran with a blue yeti for several years and only outgrew it when I wanted an interface with more features, not necessarily a new mic, although I would argue at this point in time that dynamic mics are superior voice chat and commentary.

All depends on your use case and if you want to take things up notch, I believe the Yeti cuts it for most people and their needs.

Alright, do you have any idea what audio interface would be good with the at2020? I was thinking getting a behringer um2 to save some money, but I think the extra money spent is worth a better interface.

On 7/11/2018 at 12:26 PM, NotMrTaco said:

BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UM2

Scarlett Solo if you want something similar to the UM2 but of higher quality + native ASIO support:

If within your maximum budget I would highly suggest the AG03, as stated before it gives you next level control of all your audio. You can adjust the volume of your PC, Mic, and more on the fly while the volume perceived by the computer remains unchanged. Very easy to connect an additional PC or device, multiple ways to connect a headset (3.5mm or 1/4), several awesome input options (just channels 1+2, total mix, or even loopback), and much more. Also allows for compression, eq, and effects via software if you desire. All and all a great mixer / interface. I have tried just about every other mixer below this one in price and never had a good experience, some of them don't even direct all inputs to the phones. I have Incorporated this mixer into several builds for friends and it has been nothing but good experiences.

Edit: According to community guidelines you aren't suppose to use the share button on Amazon / shortened links. I have updated the post to contain appropriate links, apologies for the inconvenience.

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

2 hours ago, TheAgnda said:

http://a.co/e7gf3KC

Ok I will look into that sound mixer, thanks!