psu

Latislapaloie

hey guys i'm planning on getting a new psu but i'm still not %100 sure  i was thinking about this one. i really want a modular one and its around the $100 price, any good recommendations?

http://products.ncix.com/detail/evga-supernova-nex650g-650w-fully-modular-atx-eps12v-power-supply-80plus-gold-91-77496-1051.htm

edit: i'm using it for a gaming rig and i'm buying a gtx 770/760

You should be fine with that psu choice. 650w is more than enough for a single GTX 770

Its not bad as it is made by FSP and with its 10 year warranty you should be fine with that power supply.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

It's only 650W and it has 4 12V rails...

These Silverstone Strider units are excellent, there are also sleeved cables available as an extra if that's your thing. Here in AUS they're in almost every build on whirlpool forums.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77918&promoid=1220

what kind of rails should i look for? 

what kind of rails should i look for? 

I personally would always look for a PSU with a single 12V rail, you would probably want 40A on that rail. If you scroll down on the page of a PSU it should show you the various rails and the amps on each (look for the positive rails). I've only ever noticed multiple rails on 850W+ PSU's though. 

The one I linked has 49A on a single 12V rail, 49 x 12 = 588W of 12V goodness, if you look at the standards for 6 & 8 pin PCIe, you'll see that all pins are 12V or ground, same as the EPS 12V CPU connector. Multiple rails would require you to plug each GPU cable in to a different rail to each other and the EPS and the 24 Pin.

I personally would always look for a PSU with a single 12V rail, you would probably want 40A on that rail. If you scroll down on the page of a PSU it should show you the various rails and the amps on each (look for the positive rails). I've only ever noticed multiple rails on 850W+ PSU's though. 

The one I linked has 49A on a single 12V rail, 49 x 12 = 588W of 12V goodness, if you look at the standards for 6 & 8 pin PCIe, you'll see that all pins are 12V or ground, same as the EPS 12V CPU connector. Multiple rails would require you to plug each GPU cable in to a different rail to each other and the EPS and the 24 Pin.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=89914&promoid=1051 would this one be a good option also? do you think the 8 pin motherboard cable will make it around the back? i have a corsair 300r and my current psu doesn't make it around the back and i have to just go straight up and it looks ugly :(

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=89914&promoid=1051 would this one be a good option also? do you think the 8 pin motherboard cable will make it around the back? i have a corsair 300r and my current psu doesn't make it around the back and i have to just go straight up and it looks ugly :(

My AX760 came with a 500 & 750mm EPS Cable, the 500mm went from the PSU all the way up the back in my Arc Midi R2, you should have no problem, if you did you can buy a 300mm sleeved extension from bitfenix for about $5.

That's also an excellent PSU, from memory all Corsair AX & RM PSU's have a single 12V rail

My AX760 came with a 500 & 750mm EPS Cable, the 500mm went from the PSU all the way up the back in my Arc Midi R2, you should have no problem, if you did you can buy a 300mm sleeved extension from bitfenix for about $5.

That's also an excellent PSU, from memory all Corsair AX & RM PSU's have a single 12V rail

alright, i'm probably going to buy that. Thanks for all the help :D

alright, i'm probably going to buy that. Thanks for all the help :D

No worries, sorry I didnt suggest that PSU earlier, in Aus it's about $50 more than the Silverstone one. People really have been raving about the RM series from Corsair  :D