Help! GPU not working after installing loop

Go to solution Solved by MadHatter5045,

Good news, I cleaned it again and reinstalled the stock cooler so I could sell it as broken and gave it one more try before I listed it just to make absolutely sure, and it worked!  

I'd like to eventually add it (back) into the loop, but for now I'm just enjoying having it back again.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

So after all the planning, research, and prep my POST signal says "No VGA"  :(.  I have an XFX HD 6950 (695X-CDDC), the block is a Watercool Heatkiller X3 6870 (fits my card), I used IC Diamond thermal compound.  The monitor indicates it is connected when I plug the cable into the card (not sure if that's indicative of anything), but no picture and the POST message tells the tale...  So is there a way to troubleshoot and fix this?  

The only thing wasn't smooth about installing the block was cleaning the old thermal compound off, omg there was a lot of it.

If you haven't already, try re-seating it in the pci-e slot, and see what happens, then make a new post on here.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Did your BIOS get reset to integrated graphics? Sometimes that happens you start unplugging stuff.

If you have a spare GPU try booting with that and see if it boots (just hold your water-cooled GPU out of the PCI-E socket while booting with the other GPU). If it does boot with the other GPU then you may have broken your card.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Answering in order:

1. (Before I posted) I reseated it, crossed my fingers, and prayed.  No dice.  I said a lot of bad words.

2.  (Right now)  I took the block back off of it and am cleaning it.

3. My board doesn't have integrated.

4.  Really really wish I had another card :(

Should I switch to a different (non conductive) TIM?  I have Arctic Silver 5 and the Koolance TIM that came with my CPU block (dunno if either of those are non conductive)

Thanks everyone

Should I switch to a different (non conductive) TIM?  I have Arctic Silver 5 and the Koolance TIM that came with my CPU block (dunno if either of those are non conductive)

AS5 is non-conductive but it is slightly capacitive. Did you see any of your TIM leak over anything metal when you took the GPU block off?

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Bare with me I'm going to sound like an idiot: the GPU itself looks like a diamond inside a square. I applied enough TIM to spread over the diamond (when I disassembled the block there was almost no overage).

Should I be applying enough TIM to cover the whole square or just the diamond inside (like I tried to do)?

Bare with me I'm going to sound like an idiot: the GPU itself looks like a diamond inside a square. I applied enough TIM to spread over the diamond (when I disassembled the block there was almost no overage).

Should I be applying enough TIM to cover the whole square or just the diamond inside (like I tried to do)?

Inside. 

I connected the stock fan to its output on the card to see if it would spin up.  It did not.  I believe this confirms the card is gone.  FML

I connected the stock fan to its output on the card to see if it would spin up.  It did not.  I believe this confirms the card is gone.  FML

Check the card for burnt out chips. Look towards the VRM section closely.

You can always sell the card as faulty on eBay and you will get a considerable amount.

Check the card for burnt out chips. Look towards the VRM section closely.

You can always sell the card as faulty on eBay and you will get a considerable amount.

Why do people buy faulty cards?

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Why do people buy faulty cards?

They try to fix them. Some cards that appear broken only need a bios flash etc.

They try to fix them. Some cards that appear broken only need a bios flash etc.

Ahh that's clever, sounds like a nice way to gain a bit extra money if you know what you are doing.

Also, do you know about fixing old cards by cooking them in oven because 6950 is not exactly a new card?

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Good news, I cleaned it again and reinstalled the stock cooler so I could sell it as broken and gave it one more try before I listed it just to make absolutely sure, and it worked!  

I'd like to eventually add it (back) into the loop, but for now I'm just enjoying having it back again.

Thanks for all the help everyone!