New Maximus X Hero WiFi AC Rig - Some Issues

First off, here are my specs:

Intel i7 8700k
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WIFI-AC
G.Skill TridentZ 16gb 3200mhz
ASUS ROG GTX 1060 O6G 6GB
EVGA SuperNova G3 650W
Samsung 960 EVO 500gb m.2

My main issue is that of the boot-up time. I built this rig with the m.2 drive in mind for quick boot ups, and overall quickness to a PC. From a cold boot, I am getting anywhere from 20-25 seconds to my desktop. That is with no login screen. After my desktop pops up i need to wait at least another 10 seconds for my PC to be fully booted. I've seen videos of people booting this same SSD in under 10 seconds from a cold boot. 

Could anyone with the same or similar motherboard please inform me of your boot times? And then I can go into other issues that I am having with my rig

Any input would be highly appreciated as I am just slightly frustrated that I spent almost 2,000 on a system that just doesn't give me that lightning speed I was looking for. Or maybe my expectations were just too high.

Thank you

Zudz

28 minutes ago, ZudzGuy said:

Could anyone with the same or similar motherboard please inform me of your boot times? And then I can go into other issues that I am having with my rig

I don't think a slow boot is a motherboard problem, it has to do with your M.2 SSD. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

in bios disable full screen logo and set the "how long the post screen is visible" to something like 3 seconds.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

The full screen logo is disabled. I have it set to 1 sec only. Fast boot is enabled. All startup programs are disabled. 

RAM is:

• 4x4GB or
  • 2x8GB

youve got both DIMM slots to 'process'

memory training profile is enabled (if youve booted many times, you my disable)

your m.2 is:

• SATA or
  • nVME

if SATA leave in M.2_1 and change to SATA or AUTO

if nVME remove and install in M.2_2 and change PCIe to x4

turn off smart status

im thinking expectations were a lil high. OS config can account for a bit

The ram is 2x8gb.

my m.2 is nvme. 960 evo

I will try the rest now.

Thank you!

Changing those options didn't help. Why is it that others with the same SSD report boot times of 6 seconds on inexpensive rigs?

the boot time seems fine to me you press the button at ~2sec mark and the desktop shows at ~18sec mark.

if you want to be at the desktop instantly why don't you just put your PC to sleep?

10 hours ago, ZudzGuy said:

Changing those options didn't help. Why is it that others with the same SSD report boot times of 6 seconds on inexpensive rigs?

don't know maybe the motherboards they are using have less things to initialize/check on startup hard to say really. but 6 seconds seems unbelievably fast you sure they are not just waking the pc up from sleep? 

Curious - what is your boot time with a similar rig to mine and being on a ASUS motherboard?

• 5 months later...

Sorry if this thread is too old, but I have the Asus Maximus X Hero Wifi AC, and have similar, what I consider to be ridiculously slow boot times, though I have just moved my NVMe drive to the second slot and to 4x, as advised above.  My older, slower computer booted much faster with an identical software profile.  My Maximus has a HP920 SSD 1Tb, 32 gig 3000Mhz ram, I7-8086 brand new build and the wifi kept defaulting to 2.4 speed N standard, though the router is comcast 5.0 AC, just like the motherboard, supposedly.  Oh, everytime I plug in an audio jack of any sort it thinks its the front panel line in or headphone :) I thought this motherboard was top of the heap, but it seems buggy.

i have the same motherboard except i don't have the wifi ac feature i use lan and boot times are fast for me i dont hav a m.2 i use a sata ssd

if it gives you peace of mind my old fx8350 with sata ssd's booted faster than my ryzen with nvme ssd rig does now, we are talking a couple of seconds difference but still. Try updating bios, skip smart check, set post screen to show for 1 sec* and disable full screen logo. think all of this was mentioned above but worth repeating if you missed something. good luck.

*if after setting this you can't get to bios because it boots too fast you can always use advanced startup to get into the bios if you are on windows 10 of course