Amp to use with phone/ nintendo switch

blue2kid3

Okay so I have a pair of 650s in order and still trying to decide on an amp and dac or amp/dac. 

Here are the requirements power both HD 598c & HD650s 

Use with the nintendo switch (hands down the lowest powered headphone port basically can't even drive the HD 598c) 

I know this is a big ask but it's hard to figure out what amp and dacs can get audio from 3.5mm headphone port.

Any info would be great guys, I'm really in the mic between schiit stack or mayflower o2 but I have looked into so many amp DACs I'm honestly overwhelmed at this point. 

Priority it to use at home with pc with occasional use with the swtch primarily playing in bed at night so as long as I can at least power it by the use of a wall I can have the amp sit on the night stand. 

Again thank you guys so much.

IFI Nano IDSD Black Label it has a better DAC than the Schiit Stack and O2. It can drive headphones up to 600 ohms so it can drive your 650s just fine. It's also portable with up 10 hours of batterylife even though it's pretty thick for a portable (looks better on a desk). A more in depth review here

9 hours ago, Drake Mallard said:

IFI Nano IDSD Black Label it has a better DAC than the Schiit Stack and O2. It can drive headphones up to 600 ohms so it can drive your 650s just fine. It's also portable with up 10 hours of batterylife even though it's pretty thick for a portable (looks better on a desk). A more in depth review here

I think I just pick this guy up being portiable means that laying in bed means no cable to wall issue. 

But because I am fairly new to dac/amps ( I used to use home theater AVR to plug everything into.) could you explain the features as the product page is doing a crap job. what are the cables its talking about what is iematch, what is a OTG cable.

Thank you so much for your help rather pay for one cart of shipping and get everything I need. Also does this connect exclusively to USB for audio transfer?

The iematch port is for in-ear monitors/earbuds and very low impedence headphones that don't require alot of power. It's basically the lowgain setting on regular dac/amps that has a high/low gain switch with a few added features that (supposedly) helps match the impedence of the iem better. The direct port is where you get the most out of your headphones and is most likely what you would plug into with your 650s. OTG cable is just this which it comes with. It's a more secure and safer connection than a usb male plug going into a dac/amp.

On 7/4/2018 at 1:28 AM, blue2kid3 said:

Use with the nintendo switch (hands down the lowest powered headphone port basically can't even drive the HD 598c)

That must be some kind record in suckyness...

Sound Blaster E5 would be able to use also Bluetooth for connecting to phone and in PC use it has same features as batteryless/Bluetoothless Sound BlasterX G5.

7 hours ago, Drake Mallard said:

The iematch port is for in-ear monitors/earbuds and very low impedence headphones that don't require alot of power.

If its meant for lower impedance loads then why does it have increased over standard port 4 ohm output impedance to decrease damping factor and cause potential frequency response changes?

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd-bl/#tab2

Ideally output impedance should be below 1/8th of load impedance. And that limit is reached at 32 ohms.

5 hours ago, EsaT said:

That must be some kind record in suckyness...

Sound Blaster E5 would be able to use also Bluetooth for connecting to phone and in PC use it has same features as batteryless/Bluetoothless Sound BlasterX G5.

If its meant for lower impedance loads then why does it have increased over standard port 4 ohm output impedance to decrease damping factor and cause potential frequency response changes?

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd-bl/#tab2

Ideally output impedance should be below 1/8th of load impedance. And that limit is reached at 32 ohms.

Which I said supposedly. According to IFI the higher impedance provides a quieter and cleaner sounding output and helps reduce hissing with sensitive IEMS. 

According to a lot of reviews the Soundblaster E5 has an okay dac but it's amp its terrible.