Help with PC upgrading needed

Hello everyone,

I bought this pre-built PC almost 3 years ago: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/2P2RFt 

Now I'm thinking of upgrading it or even buying a new one and need some advice. I was thinking I should upgrade it part by part as I get more money.

Right now I have around 250 Euro for my first upgrade. I use this PC for gaming and coding (I'm an IT student). Also I usually run many programs at the same time (running a browser with many tabs, a few terminals, some code editor, ftp client, discord, spotify, skype etc.).

As you probably already noticed I don't have an SSD yet and I think that would be a great first upgrade. But do I buy a smaller one only for OS and let the HDDs handle the rest or get a bigger one and put my games to get faster load times? How big of an impact does SSD has on game performance? 

Or should I upgrade something else that will give me a bigger performance boost? I'm not sure how old my PC looks and maybe it's not worth upgrading and I'm better off just saving my money and buying a completely new one?

Thank you for your advice :) 

I would say get a 250gb ssd for the OS and for some programs, on video games the ssd only changes the load times, nothing else. Also not drastically, so i only have some games on my ssd. Then for the second update you should get a rx580/gtx 1060 to get more fps to fully utilize the 144hz display.

I would say pick up another stick of 8gb of ddr3 and buy a smaller ssd for the os. A large ssd can help loading times in games, but it will not give you a higher fps count. More ram will help multitasking. (I have a computer with an i5-4570 and R9 270X, which is slightly inferior to your build. Its enough for gaming for now, but the ssd helps loading the os so much faster. The ssd also allows the HDD to perform better since it doesn't need to work on loading os things in the background. Plus, I have 16gb of ram and it's awesome).

2 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

I would say get a 250gb ssd for the OS and for some programs, on video games the ssd only changes the load times, nothing else. Also not drastically, so i only have some games on my ssd. Then for the second update you should get a rx580/gtx 1060 to get more fps to fully utilize the 144hz display.

Better yet, wait until the new nvidia cards come out this fall or amd cards next year. Both will come out with more powerful cards than what is available on the market.

1 minute ago, Demolishdude said:

Better yet, wait until the new nvidia cards come out this fall or amd cards next year. Both will come out with more powerful cards than what is available on the market.

Better yet, wait until the new nvidia cards come out this fall or amd cards next year. Then get the previous gen cards extra cheap.