Ryzen 2400G/Intel i5 8400

Go to solution Solved by Biggerboot,
7 minutes ago, Llewellyn Fernandes said:

For now, Premier Pro for video editing. Photoshop and Illustrator are the image editing software I use. But I plan to run Blender and other 3D modeling software.

Yeah, then the 2400g is your best option.  Can't promise it'll be the smoothest experience across the board but at the pricepoint it's your best option.

Hi,

I'm planning to build a pc for Image/Video rendering and I'm confused with which CPU to go for. Based on my current budget, I'll have to buy a GPU in the future(6-8 months later).

The Ryzen 2400G and the Intel i5 8400 are my options. Suggestions for other CPU's under the $200 mark also fine.

I'm looking for a CPU that can get things done for now without a GPU, where I can easily add in a GPU in the future.

The 2400g if you also want to do gpu intesive tasks. It has much better built in gpu than the intel counter part, but for cpu intesive tasks it gets complicated. The 2400g has 4cores and 8 threads, while the intel has 6 cores / 6 threads. So amd has more threads, while intel has more cores. The r5 2400g can be overclocked, intel can't. Both of their turbo boosts are 4ghz. The 8400 base clock is 2.8Ghz, the 2400g base clock is 3.6ghz. The AMD also has a better included cooler.

I would still say buy the r5 2400g, because if you have to go 8 months without a dedicated gpu, might as well get a decent apu.

11 minutes ago, Llewellyn Fernandes said:

Hi,

I'm planning to build a pc for Image/Video rendering and I'm confused with which CPU to go for. Based on my current budget, I'll have to buy a GPU in the future(6-8 months later).

The Ryzen 2400G and the Intel i5 8400 are my options. Suggestions for other CPU's under the $200 mark also fine.

I'm looking for a CPU that can get things done for now without a GPU, where I can easily add in a GPU in the future.

If you are serious about rendering, I highly suggest getting at least a Ryzen 2600 and buying a crappy gpu for the interim. For rendering tasks, it should outperform both of your options.

If you're not going for a dedicated GPU right away, the better option is probably the 2400g. 

It would be more helpful to know exactly what software you'll be using though, as some software favors more gpu acceleration, while some just prefer a beefier cpu.  If you're not gaming at all, and your software is less about the GPU, then the 8400 would be the faster chip.  But odds are, you'll find use cases for the vega gpu.

11 minutes ago, Demolishdude said:

If you are serious about rendering, I highly suggest getting at least a Ryzen 2600 and buying a crappy gpu for the interim. For rendering tasks, it should outperform both of your options.

Eh, you're either giving up gpu acceleration or paying another $100 for a worthy place holder.  I'd say for somebody who may be using mostly adobe products, that becomes a poorer value (not necessarily bad for the job).  But it really depends on what Image/Video rendering means.

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Eh, you're either giving up gpu acceleration or paying another $100 for a worthy place holder.  I'd almost say for somebody who may be using mostly adobe products, that becomes a bad value.

If gpu acceleration is the goal, I would say the 2400g so he can upgrade later on.

29 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

If you're not going for a dedicated GPU right away, the better option is probably the 2400g. 

It would be more helpful to know exactly what software you'll be using though, as some software favors more gpu acceleration, while some just prefer a beefier cpu.  If you're not gaming at all, and your software is less about the GPU, then the 8400 would be the faster chip.  But odds are, you'll find use cases for the vega gpu.

For now, Premier Pro for video editing. Photoshop and Illustrator are the image editing software I use. But I plan to run Blender and other 3D modeling software.

7 minutes ago, Llewellyn Fernandes said:

Yeah, then the 2400g is your best option.  Can't promise it'll be the smoothest experience across the board but at the pricepoint it's your best option.