Corsair PSU issues

Hi friends. Me again.

I think I found out why my PC keeps shutting down but I'm not sure. I have a Corsair VS650 PSU, which worked perfectly fine with my old GTX580. But now with my 7970, which SHOULD be less power hungry the system keeps shutting down unless I turn down the clockspeeds. Is my PSU going bad or is the 7970 just too power hungry at its stock1050MHZ core/ 1500MHZ mem speeds? 

Power supplies do have the potential to loose the amount of wattage the are able to supply after being used for enough time and load although I would use a power supply calculator in order to determine if your card is drawing too much power and causing the shut downs or if the wattage that the power supply can provide has lowered. I recommend Outervision Power Supply Calculator for finding out what wattage a certain configuration needs.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The HD 7970 draws 300W, the GTX 580 draws 244W.

What are the rest of your specs?

I have an asus B350 motherboard, a Ryzen 5 1600 @3.2GHZ, 3 SATA HDDs, 1 USB 3.0 500GB HDD and 8GB of RAM @2133mhz 

1 minute ago, Yasin40 said:

I have an asus B350 motherboard, a Ryzen 5 1600 @3.2GHZ, 3 SATA HDDs, 1 USB 3.0 500GB HDD and 8GB of RAM @2133mhz 

Going by that, I agree with @Boomwebsearch. Your PSU may be failing to provide all the power necessary to keep your system going.

Corsair's VS power supplies are Tiers 5 and 6 on the PSU Tier List, I wouldn't be surprised if that's why you're having this problem: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Most people don't recommend going below a Tier 3.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!