i8700k + nzxt X52, randomly overheating

Newly build pc, while being idle will randomly peak CPU temperatures between 80-100 C. Only lasting 5 seconds before it goes back to the 40 C it's on normally.

I got nothing running in the back, task manager still say cpu usage is 21% during these random peaks.

Apart from this, if i run Aida64, cpu stress test, it will run at 90-100 C. Where i've seen people get around 70 C stable. I reach 90 within 5 seconds.

Any tips, or something i might have missed? Pic of the build included.

Since i've read posts about AIO coolers working better on the normal Bios fancurve, i've connected the AIO to the motherboard directly.

pump connected to the AIO pump connector

fan 1 connected to the CPU FAN 1

fan 2 connected to the CPU FAN OPT(ional) 

build:

Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower

CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X52

Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING

Memory: TridentZ 16 GB (8x2) 3000 mhz
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650 watt

BIOS Version    0612

Windows 10 Pro

If i missed anything, please let me know. Any help would be appreciated <3

IMG_20180628_225354.jpg

Fan orientation.....

the front facing fans are pulling air from the front>radiator>case

the back fan and upper fan are pushing air from the case > outside

Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste was used, and i reapplied it to make sure it wasn't just me misplacing the cooling block.

8 minutes ago, MajesticAF said:

Fan orientation.....

the front facing fans are pulling air from the front>radiator>case

the back fan and upper fan are pushing air from the case > outside

That's how most people orient their fans, it's not a fan issue.

Do you have any thermal paste? might be worth re-applying that, and checking the spread of the current paste when you do.

Asking if you have any cause it's not a great idea to remount with the same paste.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just providing as much relevant details as possible to the cooling issue.

I know exactly what you are talking about, as I had this exact issue. When I was first building my computer I originally went with the x52 as my aio, but as time went on I realized that was a major mistake. When I first bought the product my computer would not even boot because the pump on the x52 was broken so I thought "no problem I'll just get a replacement from Amazon." Once my next aio arrived it worked for a few days and then the pump broke again and I was seeing the exact same temps at idle that you were. At this point, I decided to try another replacement from Amazon and had the same issue. Finally I tried one more time from an electronics store thinking it might just be amazon's stock that is bad, and of course, I had the same experience. At this point, I was done and decided to go the Corsair route, and haven't had so much as a problem since. I am currently using the h115i in a push-pull configuration and have my 8700k at 5.1Ghz at 1.35v and am idling at 30 degrees Celsius. Basically, I have found that NZXT's products that aren't cases are terrible. I wanted to build my computer full NZXT with aer RGB fans, the Kraken, and a hue+; in the end, I realized nothing was working and jumped ship to corsiar. It's not perfect, but at least it works. 

1. Make sure that the pump is being run at 100% (you should be able to set it in the BIOS-going off my old Z97 Sabertooth MKII)

2. Re-mount the water block. Its possible that there isn't enough contact between it and the CPU.

2 minutes ago, Maximusfoximus said:

I know exactly what you are talking about, as I had this exact issue. When I was first building my computer I originally went with the x52 as my aio, but as time went on I realized that was a major mistake. When I first bought the product my computer would not even boot because the pump on the x52 was broken so I thought "no problem I'll just get a replacement from Amazon." Once my next aio arrived it worked for a few days and then the pump broke again and I was seeing the exact same temps at idle that you were. At this point, I decided to try another replacement from Amazon and had the same issue. Finally I tried one more time from an electronics store thinking it might just be amazon's stock that is bad, and of course, I had the same experience. At this point, I was done and decided to go the Corsair route, and haven't had so much as a problem since. I am currently using the h115i in a push-pull configuration and have my 8700k at 5.1Ghz at 1.35v and am idling at 30 degrees Celsius. Basically, I have found that NZXT's products that aren't cases are terrible. I wanted to build my computer full NZXT with aer RGB fans, the Kraken, and a hue+; in the end, I realized nothing was working and jumped ship to corsiar. It's not perfect, but at least it works. 

I used to have a 120mm AIO. But after my 4790K caused it to quietly vent its coolant (as in it was vapourised) I just switched back to the stock cooler (and later on an uncommon LGA775 cooler with its mounting bracket modded).

I personally won't be using an AIO again-if I go water cooling it will be when I've got enough money to do a custom loop.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

1. Make sure that the pump is being run at 100% (you should be able to set it in the BIOS-going off my old Z97 Sabertooth MKII)

2. Re-mount the water block. Its possible that there isn't enough contact between it and the CPU.

I used to have a 120mm AIO. But after my 4790K caused it to quietly vent its coolant (as in it was vapourised) I just switched back to the stock cooler (and later on an uncommon LGA775 cooler with its mounting bracket modded).

I personally won't be using an AIO again-if I go water cooling it will be when I've got enough money to do a custom loop.

I agree air coolers are way better in general reliability, but I personally prefer the aesthetics provided by an aio. Over course they have many issues, and a custom loop is also way better, but I never built one because I don't like the idea of having to do maintenance on the loop and worry about a fitting bursting like what happened to Kyle and his hotline build.  

That fast temperature ramp up basically means that either block isn't properly attached, or pump isn't running... at least any faster than second arm of the clock.

If coolant was still running in the loop and radiator fans weren't doing their job then temperature ramp up would be slow.

Pump is running at 2141 rpm, which i'm guessing is maxed?, and the block is properly attached as i've checked it twice now paying extra attention to the mounting.

might just switch to the h115i to not have this much of a hassle.....

I've ordered myself the H115i pro and will update this post if this the corsair AIO cooler will fix the issue i have with the Kraken.