Windows update broke something

Terryv

After the recent creators update, my printer stopped working. I decide to remove and reinstall drivers, and I can't make it past the extraction of the install package. I've been forced to use Ubuntu to get anything printed.

printer in question: HP P1606DN

Does anyone know of a fix

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

did you run the driver install as admin? and turn off any antivirus?

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

3 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

It's amazing how that usually solves issues for driver installations yet manufacturers don't make that tip clearly visible anywhere. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It's amazing how that usually solves issues for driver installations yet manufacturers don't make that tip clearly visible anywhere. 

or you know, add the manifest file in the .exe requesting admin privileges like all setups, and programs that needs admin to do what it offers.

1 hour ago, Tsuki said:

Yup, I did both

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

20 minutes ago, Terryv said:

Yup, I did both

and just to make sure, you are installing JUST the driver, not the software package for the printer right?

if you uninstall the drivers, you just be able to plug the printer into the computer, and it should auto detect and install by itself without a problem.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Did you try:

Start > Settings > Devices > Printer & Scanner > "[ + ] Add a printer or scanner" > Select printer (printer must be turned on) > pick it, and let Windows do its thing?

8 hours ago, Tsuki said:

and just to make sure, you are installing JUST the driver, not the software package for the printer right?

if you uninstall the drivers, you just be able to plug the printer into the computer, and it should auto detect and install by itself without a problem.

I can't download just the driver, it's a complete software package. I can't do USB, this is installed vis network.

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Did you try:

Start > Settings > Devices > Printer & Scanner > "[ + ] Add a printer or scanner" > Select printer (printer must be turned on) > pick it, and let Windows do its thing?

Yup, it appears to get the printer installed in this fashion, but it tells me "the printer needs attention" every time I I send a print command and just sits in the pending job folder.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's