Confusion about power phases

Looking into a new mobo for my VR system, Z370 to be precise, just wanted to know how big of a difference the amount of power phases makes and whether or not having too few could hurt overclocking performance.

How extreme are you going and how much electrical knowledge do you have?

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

In levels of extreme I want to at least hit 5 - 5.2Ghz, and very little.

Thanks for replying by the way!

7 minutes ago, OnyxTech said:

-snip-

No problem. At 5.2 GHz, which CPU are you looking at? Additionally, what would your budget be?

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Well, i'm currently looking at either an 8700k or an 8086k, to my understanding the 8086k's are just binned? and my budget is 600

With fewer phases you generally get lower current capabilities and higher VRM temperatures. Reducing your motherboard's lifespan. A MOSFET that completely fails can send 12V straight into the CPU, which isn't ideal.

You also get less stable power and worse transient response, meaning you'll require more voltage for the same overclock. 

And just a note, the Vcore VRM is what matters. Many publications are just filled with clowns with no knowledge and that don't know what a phase is. They will just count the number of inductors and claim that it's the phase count -it isn't. Ask about a recommendation or a board on the forum, and you'll get info. 

:)