Should I upgrade?

FunkmastaFlex

I was thinking of getting the Vive Pro headset to replace my og Vive, is it worth it?

I have read that is does have more pixels compared to the original Vive, from 1200x1080 per eye to 1440x1600 per eye.

I've also heard that it is more comfortable to use(which is a big plus).

I am comfortable with the current price tag which is $800 for the headset replacement on the Amazon page, I'm just not sure that it is worth it.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

Honestly I'm waiting for the next gen headsets, Ones that  don't have the screen door effect. Right now your still paying for the early adopters fee. 

I'm just gonna throw this out there.

I use a Samsung Odyssey, best decision I've ever made. $400-$500 depending on where you buy it from. Same display and resolution as the Vive Pro. Plays Steam VR games just fine, and can play oculus with third party software.

There are no tracking issues with the headset. The tracking on the controllers has improved, and a better Bluetooth dongle for your PC can help alleviate the tracking problems all together.

No lighthouses to deal with, plug in, windows recognizes it, and you're ready to go.

I have an Odyssey and an original Vive.

Since the Odyssey has the same resolution as the Vive Pro I would say there is no way the increased resolution you get is at all worth the price HTC is asking for the Vive Pro.

I picked up the Odyssey for DCS World and Elite hoping it would make text more readable and it does but it's only about 20% better.

It's still not enough to read all the gauges clearly.

I would say if you already have an original Vive then stick with that until we see what happens with the Pimax 8K or the real Gen 2 headsets come out.