Planning to build a 8 GPU password cracking server.

Go to solution Solved by LtStaffel,
7 minutes ago, TwoBigBalls said:

Obviously for research purposes.

As far as optimization goes and utilizing the best of what you have, 1080ti's seem to be "king" for this. Personally I use two with 1100kh-1200kh/s for testing my own network. Can't complain, but without knowing what hardware you want/need I think you'll be more limited by your capabilities to understand the software you use.

See : https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=mask_attack

I would recommend building your own skillset before dropping a pretty dime on such hardware.

In traditional Brute-Force attack we require a charset that contains all upper-case letters, 
all lower-case letters and all digits (aka “mixalpha-numeric”). 
The Password length is 9, so we have to iterate through 62^9 (13.537.086.546.263.552) combinations. 
Lets say we crack with a rate of 100M/s, this requires more than 4 years to complete.

In Mask attack we know about humans and how they design passwords. 
The above password matches a simple but common pattern. 
A name and year appended to it. 
We can also configure the attack to try the upper-case letters only on the first position. 
It is very uncommon to see an upper-case letter only in the second or the third position. 
To make it short, with Mask attack we can reduce the keyspace to 52*26*26*26*26*10*10*10*10 (237.627.520.000) combinations. 
With the same cracking rate of 100M/s, this requires just 40 minutes to complete.

Good start, OP should be aware there are more methods than this too : D

4 minutes ago, TwoBigBalls said:

Just stalked this guys profile a bit.

He checks out.

lol thanks

I ended up with a distributed solution. For about ~$1400 I got performance in the range of 35-40GH/s on MD5. Not too bad, but at least it's scalable as I had to spend some on setting up the network to allow for future upgrades. Should be able to support about 2 or 3 more GPUs before having to buy another motherboard and other PC stuff.

Howdy Nerds,

I'm planning to build a home server rig for password cracking but I'm not sure about building a server rig. I have built a Gaming rig 6-7 months ago but still, I'm not sure about this rig. my gaming rig isn't capable of running hashes faster .I found out that founders edition do better than gaming GPU for Hashcat like services. I'm not sure about what PSU/case/processor/water cooling I should use. I'm a little bit worried about GPU's running 24/7 .i thought if someone could just give me some advice on this build. my budget is around $12K. Thanks in advance !!!! 

for research purposes.... :)

Spoiler

CPU: 5800x

GPU: 1070ti

HDD: Seagate 3TB
SSD: 1TB WD NVME

RAM: 32GB ddr4 3200

HEADPHONES: DT990 pro 250ohm limited edition black

MONITER: BenQ xl2536

CASE: s340 elite hyperbeast

KEYBOARD: nk87- zilent switches

MOUSE: G403 Hero

As far as optimization goes and utilizing the best of what you have, 1080ti's seem to be "king" for this. Personally I use two with 1100kh-1200kh/s for testing my own network. Can't complain, but without knowing what hardware you want/need I think you'll be more limited by your capabilities to understand the software you use.

I would recommend building your own skillset before dropping a pretty dime on such hardware.

In traditional Brute-Force attack we require a charset that contains all upper-case letters, 
The Password length is 9, so we have to iterate through 62^9 (13.537.086.546.263.552) combinations. 
Lets say we crack with a rate of 100M/s, this requires more than 4 years to complete.

We can also configure the attack to try the upper-case letters only on the first position. 
It is very uncommon to see an upper-case letter only in the second or the third position. 
To make it short, with Mask attack we can reduce the keyspace to 52*26*26*26*26*10*10*10*10 (237.627.520.000) combinations. 
With the same cracking rate of 100M/s, this requires just 40 minutes to complete.

6 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

PM me with more info about what you know and what you want to do with it exactly (meaning what types of password attacks), I've built one of these and done a lot of research on them.

He checks out.

4 minutes ago, TwoBigBalls said:

He checks out.

lol thanks

I ended up with a distributed solution. For about ~$1400 I got performance in the range of 35-40GH/s on MD5. Not too bad, but at least it's scalable as I had to spend some on setting up the network to allow for future upgrades. Should be able to support about 2 or 3 more GPUs before having to buy another motherboard and other PC stuff.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.  I've been contacting several people and many where recommending founder's edition over ti. I'm really confused about that.  All those people be like not talking about hashing speed but kinda forcing me to make my choice on founder's edition.

4 minutes ago, yankee_47 said:

thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.  I've been contacting several people and many where recommending founder's edition over ti. I'm really confused about that.  All those people be like not talking about hashing speed but kinda forcing me to make my choice on founder's edition.

There's a Ti version and a Ti founders edition for 1080's. 

Personally I like the 1080ti FE, the blower... blows. If you're going to put the coin down and have the room for it, I'd recommend standalone watercooled mods to the 1080ti FE. I run an Nvidia 1080ti FE on the EVGA watercooler built for it and rarely even tip toe into 58C+ conditions. The standard blower however will run at a real peachy 70C+ temp, but being as close as they are to each other in my MOBO I opted to put the upgraded cooler 1080ti in the top slot since airflow would be limited.

You can run a loop, nobody can stop you. You can blow a decent portion of your budget keeping those temps as low as possible however you'll risk a lot if they are all connected to each other. For the money, I'd opt for hybrid cooling solutions for each individual card. Better to have one go than the whole shebang - if you do opt to replace coolers. The Arctic III seems pretty reliable as well for aftermarket and fairly priced as well w/o having radiators going anywhere. 

23 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

lol thanks

All the PCIe adapters!

I get about 62GH/s for MD5 ~ but don't do much other than game and run my own pen-test scenarios. I was using two mobos/cpus and each had a 1080ti. One with Parrot OS and the other Windows 10 for games. But I realized it's a bit of a waste since I already use Parrot OS on my laptop, I can just send the work I need to my Windows rig and either run the Kali APP in the windows store, VM an OS or, what I mostly do, just run HashcatGUI since it supports Windows. I wish I still had my mining rig... It'd be peachy.

There's a Ti version and a Ti founders edition for 1080's. 

Personally I like the 1080ti FE, the blower... blows. If you're going to put the coin down and have the room for it, I'd recommend standalone watercooled mods to the 1080ti FE. I run an Nvidia 1080ti FE on the EVGA watercooler built for it and rarely even tip toe into 58C+ conditions. The standard blower however will run at a real peachy 70C+ temp, but being as close as they are to each other in my MOBO I opted to put the upgraded cooler 1080ti in the top slot since airflow would be limited.

You can run a loop, nobody can stop you. You can blow a decent portion of your budget keeping those temps as low as possible however you'll risk a lot if they are all connected to each other. For the money, I'd opt for hybrid cooling solutions for each individual card. Better to have one go than the whole shebang - if you do opt to replace coolers. The Arctic III seems pretty reliable as well for aftermarket and fairly priced as well w/o having radiators going anywhere. 

All the PCIe adapters!

I get about 62GH/s for MD5 ~ but don't do much other than game and run my own pen-test scenarios. I was using two mobos/cpus and each had a 1080ti. One with Parrot OS and the other Windows 10 for games. But I realized it's a bit of a waste since I already use Parrot OS on my laptop, I can just send the work I need to my Windows rig and either run the Kali APP in the windows store, VM an OS or, what I mostly do, just run HashcatGUI since it supports Windows. I wish I still had my mining rig... It'd be peachy.

what happened to your mining rig? :(

3 minutes ago, yankee_47 said:

what happened to your mining rig? :(

Sold 90% of it for exactly what I paid for it six months earlier to a local guy who owns a pc part business here.

Can't complain, got out just before crypto took a turn south. Only part I really miss is the heat keeping my place warm all winter.

-Thread locked-

Due to the potentially nefarious use of such a server, this thread is now terminated as things like this have no place on this forum.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!