Old generation mobile processors

so is the performance from an old gen processor really worth the trade off for cost. the laptop I'm looking to buy has a fourth generation i5 (i5-4310U) is it really worth the extra hundreds to buy a new generation one.

It depends what you want to do, the latest 8th gen had the biggest jump with the u series going to quad core.

If you are just checking emails and browsing just make sure you have an SSD and you are set for now.

The Haswell processors were released in 2014.

4 years of laptop evolution is not limited to simply a newer Skylake CPU.

What laptop are you looking at and for what price?

What are you going to do with the laptop? Daily tasks? Or gaming?

5 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

The Haswell processors were released in 2014.

4 years of laptop evolution is not limited to simply a newer Skylake CPU.

What laptop are you looking at and for what price?

What are you going to do with the laptop? Daily tasks? Or gaming?

right now I use it for school and some real old school gaming like doom and civilization. Im looking to join the pc master race for gaming but right now I want a laptop with real good battery life. Im looking at the xps lineup from last and current gen.

9 minutes ago, Meaker said:

It depends what you want to do, the latest 8th gen had the biggest jump with the u series going to quad core.

If you are just checking emails and browsing just make sure you have an SSD and you are set for now.

yeah I am using an ssd but I was wondering if my laptop is worth upgrading while. Its doing fine for my schoolwork and such but I was wondering if I should upgrade to make it better for schoolwork and to upgrade my battery because I have to keep the cord on me at all times.

12 minutes ago, malacchiato said:

yeah I am using an ssd but I was wondering if my laptop is worth upgrading while. Its doing fine for my schoolwork and such but I was wondering if I should upgrade to make it better for schoolwork and to upgrade my battery because I have to keep the cord on me at all times.

Usually there are no options really for such and upgrade, did they offer a larger cell for your machine? Is it removable?

The CPU is soldered so you can't change that out.

When you are looking to have it as a gaming machine then the equation changes drastically of course.

17 minutes ago, Meaker said:

Usually there are no options really for such and upgrade, did they offer a larger cell for your machine? Is it removable?

The CPU is soldered so you can't change that out.

When you are looking to have it as a gaming machine then the equation changes drastically of course.

Its an old dell ultrabook. I can get a new battery its really only poor because of the many many many cycles its been through. The question really should be do I buy a new battery or a new computer. I don't think this one will last very long

If you are worried about it failing getting one with a decent warranty is a big plus.

4 hours ago, malacchiato said:

so is the performance from an old gen processor really worth the trade off for cost. the laptop I'm looking to buy has a fourth generation i5 (i5-4310U) is it really worth the extra hundreds to buy a new generation one.

Don't buy a U processor. Buy an M/QM/MQ processor. It will be changeable later. New chips are 15W so they are slow and 4th Gen M/MQ processor match them easily.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4700MQ-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8250U/2727vsm338266

Main system (Mini itx 80mm)

i5-7500 | Asrock h110m | Noctua L9i | Realan H80 Case | 8GB 2400 Ram ADATA | M600 SSD | 500 GB Seagate

Other System (Laptop)

i7 3632QM | Toshiba | 8GB Corsair VS RAM | Sandisk SSD PLUS | 500GB Toshiba HDD

You wont find a supported 4th gen system now, the platform is 5 years old. We are just at the point where those systems are going to start kicking the bucket.

3 minutes ago, Meaker said:

You wont find a supported 4th gen system now, the platform is 5 years old. We are just at the point where those systems are going to start kicking the bucket.

There are tons on ebay!

Main system (Mini itx 80mm)

i5-7500 | Asrock h110m | Noctua L9i | Realan H80 Case | 8GB 2400 Ram ADATA | M600 SSD | 500 GB Seagate

Other System (Laptop)

i7 3632QM | Toshiba | 8GB Corsair VS RAM | Sandisk SSD PLUS | 500GB Toshiba HDD

1 minute ago, rukspuks said:

There are tons on ebay!

Which is known for it's warranty and support?