Something inside my System burnt.....

OhaiyoAnime

Good Day to you guys!

I was tinkering with my PC and trying to learn where all stuff comes from and where it connects to. I removed everything and placed it back to original state or so I thought. A few seconds after powering my PC there was something that smelled like it was melting/burning, I was away from my system for approximately 10 secs after I switched it on. I immediately switched it off and removed all cables and shut off the socket. I opened my system again and a ton of smoke came out. :( I was going thru the stuff I plugged in and found that I accidentally plugged in some kind of connector to some pins. The plastic covering of the connector has melted off and even took with it a connector beside it.

I'm too scared to try and open my PC now. What do you guys think the chances of my PC still being alive are? And can you guys suggest anything that I can try to fix it?

Thanks! ~OA

ok. 

what part did you connect something to? 

and don't turn it on again. if your psu is broken it could catch fire. 

She/Her

My guess is that you plugged a floppy power connector into a fan header on the mobo. It will short either the +5v or the +12v line to ground through the mobo and cause huge current flow. Might not trip the short-circuit protection on the psu but the over-current protection should have turned the system off automatically anyway.

If the mobo doesn't look like its falling apart, I would disconnect the hard drive(s) and the graphics card, make sure there are only two cables connecting the power supply and the mobo (24-pin and 4 or 8-pin, same style) and after that turn it back on while keeping my hand on the power switch (socket or power supply).

Leave the side panel off as well so you can turn it off quicker if smoke comes out.
Dont do it on a carpet and maybe have a fire extinguisher on hand especially if you have a no-name psu. And if you're scared use safety glasses and do it outside.

Post pics so we can walk you through checking to see what fried and if you can still use the system with the damage that was done. It might still be usable after things are plugged in correctly. If you were hard grounded there is a chance. if it went though any of the components then you will more than likely be replacing a part or two..

Passmark 4507

Time Spy   3837

Fire Strike   11287

13 minutes ago, Pesukarhu said:

My guess is that you plugged a floppy power connector into a fan header on the mobo. It will short either the +5v or the +12v line to ground through the mobo and cause huge current flow. Might not trip the short-circuit protection on the psu but the over-current protection should have turned the system off automatically anyway.

If the mobo doesn't look like its falling apart, I would disconnect the hard drive(s) and the graphics card, make sure there are only two cables connecting the power supply and the mobo (24-pin and 4 or 8-pin, same style) and after that turn it back on while keeping my hand on the power switch (socket or power supply).

Leave the side panel off as well so you can turn it off quicker if smoke comes out.
Dont do it on a carpet and maybe have a fire extinguisher on hand especially if you have a no-name psu. And if you're scared use safety glasses and do it outside.

This or similar to that time I left a screw in and it shorted and blew the USB 5v LINE on the motherboard. I have photos of it around somewhere, 5mm wide line of copper blown/burnt off the motherboard. Amazing thing is, it still booted after... just needed an old ps/2 mouse/keyboard as of cause, the USB line was dead. :D

Was an old motherboard I was messing with, so no loss... but I learnt a hard lesson that day. ;)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm so glad I found this forums.

I'll be updating you guys with more information as soon as I get home, still stuck at school.  :)