FiiO E17 + E09k

FluffyPuma
Go to solution Solved by OddballMV,

Using Sennheiser HD 598's

ShearMe's right, no real need for that much amplification for the HD598, you'd just have it set to 1 out of 10 the whole time. Maybe just stick with the E17 if it's reasonably priced down under  ;)

This is just a quick question regarding the FiiO E17 + E09k combo. I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's and am currently using a internal sound card (Xonar DGX) and am looking into buying an external DAC/Amp.

I've read numerous reviews on the E17, and how amazing it is, but none seem to answer my question which is, is adding the E09k worth it? Will docking the E17 in the E09k improve my experience over using just the E17?

Thanks in advance :)

Fluffy

i5 4670k @ 4.6Ghz | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4) 2133MHz | Gigabyte GA-Z87x-UD3H | Silverstrone 850W | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 250GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Gigabyte Windforce Gtx 780s

Are you going to be using the E17 as a portable DAC/Amp as well as desktop? If it's for home use then you may get better results out of the Objective 2 and Odac combo if it is available.

Headset

Are you going to be using the E17 as a portable DAC/Amp as well as desktop? If it's for home use then you may get better results out of the Objective 2 and Odac combo if it is available.

I'd be using the E17 for both portable and desktop usage. To be fair, mainly desktop

i5 4670k @ 4.6Ghz | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4) 2133MHz | Gigabyte GA-Z87x-UD3H | Silverstrone 850W | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 250GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Gigabyte Windforce Gtx 780s

I'd be using the E17 for both portable and desktop usage. To be fair, mainly desktop

What headphones are you using? Not sure what the new E09k has added to the mix but the old E9 was really just a block of power meant for driving relatively low end but high impedance headphones.

Headset

What headphones are you using? Not sure what the new E09k has added to the mix but the old E9 was really just a block of power meant for driving relatively low end but high impedance headphones.

Don't get the E9 - your headphones don't need it and the impedance mismatch might degrade frequency response.

When I asked the same question about a similar pair of cans (HD558s) with the same setup, I was pointed towards just the E17, it will be sufficient for your needs. 

#!

ShearMe's right, no real need for that much amplification for the HD598, you'd just have it set to 1 out of 10 the whole time. Maybe just stick with the E17 if it's reasonably priced down under  ;)

Headset

Cheers for all the responses :) An E17 goes for about $140, which isn't too bad I don't think. I'll definitely be going just for the E17 now!

Has the e17 got a better sound and more amplification than the e10?

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x