Wi-Fi Speed Issues

jiyeon

So I was looking into my Wi-Fi settings on my phone and I happen to see this "Network speed" thing:

It shows 104Mbps in this screenshot, and successive refreshs show anywhere from 70-120Mbps, great, right?

Screenshot_20180619-000401_Settings.jpg.0282d3e4d6efaee4c96706d0bc3c4925.jpg

Well, unfortunately my Speedtest results show that isn't quite the whole story.

Screenshot_20180619-000505_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.a7516e2ce1a575b475f52786f159f6d0.jpg

I was wondering what is going on here, because my entire family gets the same results on Speedtest, and even when I look in Task Manager during online games, YouTube viewing etc

My Wi-Fi is meant to be upgraded to fiber-optic so I'm wondering if it may be incorrect Wi-Fi IP settings?

As much help as I can get would be helpful, I can't figure it out for the life of me.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

OK, network speed isn't the same as internet speed... so that's where you're going wrong to start with.

Do a speedtest from n ethernet wired PC if possible. What provider and plan are you supposed to be on?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, paddy-stone said:

Do a speedtest from n ethernet wired PC if possible. What provider and plan are you supposed to be on?

Okay, I can try that with Ethernet and see how I do.

My new ISP is Sky/BT, although I can't quite say the plan since my dad never got into detail about it.

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

OK, network speed isn't the same as internet speed... so that's where you're going wrong to start with.

... well there goes my creditibility, thank you for the information.

2 minutes ago, MiNy said:

Okay, I can try that with Ethernet and see how I do.

My new ISP is Sky/BT, although I can't quite say the plan since my dad never got into detail about it.

Sky and BT are entirely separate entities... do you mean it's sky as your ISP running on a BT line by any chance?

If so, is that ADSL or VDSL (FFTC - fibre to the cabinet) - seems VERY low is it's supposed to be VDSL, and even for ADSL it's not great TBH... to troubleshoot this properly we'd need to know the plan and stuff to properly say whether this is really bad or not, and maybe suggest something to try.

Do the speedtest from a PC/laptop through ethernet and see what you get.. then we could look at other stuff to see if that looks similar to what you should be getting through the router too.

1 minute ago, MiNy said:

... well there goes my creditibility, thank you for the information.

It's a common misconception - people see the "net" part of network and assume it means "the net" maybe?

Anyway the difference is that the "network speed" is the line speed or connection speed, from your device to the router. So for instance say it's 104Mb/s, that is the fastest your connection to the router will operate at currently... so even if you had 1Gb/s you could only "pull" 104Mb/s through it to your device at maximum. In reality it would be less than that even with overheads.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Sky and BT are entirely separate entities... do you mean it's sky as your ISP running on a BT line by any chance?

Yes, that is probably it, as I'm still with Sky.

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

to troubleshoot this properly we'd need to know the plan and stuff to properly say whether this is really bad or not, and maybe suggest something to try.

Okay, I'll get details for you from my dad and I'll get back you on this one.

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Do the speedtest from a PC/laptop through ethernet and see what you get.. then we could look at other stuff to see if that looks similar to what you should be getting through the router too.

It's currently 12AM where I live so I can try in the morning and report back with findings.

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

we'd need to know the plan and stuff to properly say whether this is really bad or not, and maybe suggest something to try.

UPDATE:
It is a £25 (monthly, I assume?) landline and broadband fiber-optic, with speeds of 10-30Mbps.

It ain't a lot of information to work with, but this is all the information I got from my dad so far.

i suggest with internet problems to call ur isp right away because its their job to make sure their service works for you, plus it could always be something small they could instantly fix

1 minute ago, Xtenchen said:

call ur isp right away because its their job to make sure their service works for you, plus it could always be something small they could instantly fix

Absolutely, 18th of June was their deadline for fiber-optic upgrade, and it's now 19th, so I'll call them up in the morning and see if it was as simple as that. Knowing Sky, it probably isn't.