Is MSI support trash or am I doing it wrong?

I'm trying to get some help with a motherboard firmware upgrade which isn't working, but the MSI forum seems to be designed to cause fury. I can log in, but when I click on the 'forum' button, suddenly I'm a guest again and can't start threads. Then when I click 'register', I'm logged in again, so I click on the forum button again and i'm a guest. Not only that, but you have to enter BS quantities of capchas and other puzzles all the time, and also I seem to recall last time I had a similar issue, the admins were extremely rude and I ended up with a bricked motherboard.

Am I doing something wrong here?

8 minutes ago, DDebbil said:

Am I doing something wrong here?

Not to self promote here, but you may be better off avoiding MSI's forum if you're having that bad of an experience there.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

11 minutes ago, DDebbil said:

snip

Yes, MSI is horrible at software and their top posters are all mods/admins. Also their support is Made-in-Taiwan just like their products and should be taken as useless if you have any actual issues.

The only reason Afterburner works is because it's a skinned version of another company's software. Gigabyte is basically MSI but they actually make their horrible software.

yeah I went to their forum once because of a problem with a radeon graphics card and the trolls/fanboys started telling me that card was crap better get a GTX 780Ti (top tier card at the time) and that kind of crap, a mod showed up at some point and all he said was "RMA it", I went to another forum and after 5 mins I got a ton of guys trying to help... I managed to flash the card BIOS using ye olde 3.5 floppy drive

MSI is a great brand but their forum is bs

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I just found my old thread - what a joke! They just told me to do the same thing that I'd already done over and over again - a process which had already caused the motherboard to become a brick. From what I can tell, it seems their Windows BIOS update utility officially does not work for this motherboard (despite the fact that it is on the support download page for the board), and they do not provide BIOS files that are compatible with the onboard M flash update utility either. They seem to think it's reasonable to ask users to go through some convoluted rigmarole to update the BIOS (which may or may not actually work).

16 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

MSI is a great brand

Uh... no

MSI motherboards are notoriously terrible and their graphics cards are no better that Asus's, not to mention their awful obsession with that hideous red glossy plastic. ASUS makes better motherboards and graphics cards. Their laptops have so much bloatware that it'd be funny if it didn't tank the laptop's performance. ASUS makes better motherboards and GPUs, and ASUS and Gigabyte make better notebooks

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Uh... no

MSI motherboards are notoriously terrible and their graphics cards are no better that Asus's, not to mention their awful obsession with that hideous red glossy plastic. ASUS makes better motherboards and graphics cards. Their laptops have so much bloatware that it'd be funny if it didn't tank the laptop's performance. ASUS makes better motherboards and GPUs, and ASUS and Gigabyte make better notebooks

dunno about the new boards and cards but the old ones always worked for me and friends

The 6870 I bricked and then revived was the Hawk edition, then I got a 990 mobo that still works, one of the few if not the only one that has 8+6 pin 12V connectors on it, overclocks great and stays stable, of course this was before the "gaming" products craze where they starting adding a ton of junk to their boards just to make them look cool and powerful and forgot about performance, no more OC boards, no more Hawk or blower style cards

ASUS has good boards but they're really expensive and have those shrouds I don't like and a ton of stuff I won't use like RGB or an elite sound chip (I had to get a Gigabyte instead)

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB