Computer only boots when laying down, but stays on when changing orientation

Sergifq

Hey, been having some issues with my pc since I first built it. So when I go to boot it while the case standing up it doesnt give any signal, and all the fans start spinning but no display. But when I turn it off and lay it sideways and press the power button it turns on perfectly. I looked at the manual and tried looking everywhere in the bios for a case orientation setting and couldnt find it. My mobo is an asrock z270 pro4, my full speccy list is attatched. Also I know its not an issue with any cables being loose because when I turn it on while lying flat then stand the case up it works perfectly fine. Just looking for some help.

Screenshot (110).png

bad connection with one of the cables? have u checked each individual cable plugged into both the power supply (if modular) or on each connector on your motherboard? 

Just now, Trulop said:

bad connection with one of the cables? have u checked each individual cable plugged into both the power supply (if modular) or on each connector on your motherboard? 

Yea thats what I thought at first but I reconnected everything again and nothing changed. The psu is non modular btw.

Just now, Sergifq said:

Yea thats what I thought at first but I reconnected everything again and nothing changed. The psu is non modular btw

Even things like GPUs and RAM? Also make sure everything is screwed on right. A loose screw could cause things like your GPU to slightly move out of place as you change orientations. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

i mean the first thing that jumps into my mind, is that something isnt seated properly and the weight of everything (or just gravity) pulling down on things is making some break in the connection somewhere or tugging on something it shouldnt. Definately check any and all connections, make sure CPU has been seated correctly, make sure your cooler is fastened to it snugly and not loose to where you either have a cooling problem or the cpu isnt making adequate connection with the contacts, your GPU is sitting in the socket correctly and not leaning down super far when vertical, ETC. Also does it boot to bios when vertical or like no image whatsoever?

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Even things like GPUs and RAM? Also make sure everything is screwed on right. A loose screw could cause things like your GPU to slightly move out of place as you change orientations. 

Yep I tried re adjusting the ram and gpu today and no signal when trying to boot while standing up.

Check to see that your powerbutton on your case doesnt have a lose connection on either end

If you have a Powerbutton on your mobo see if that works while standing up

Just now, Trulop said:

i mean the first thing that jumps into my mind, is that something isnt seated properly and the weight of everything (or just gravity) pulling down on things is making some break in the connection somewhere or tugging on something it shouldnt. Definately check any and all connections, make sure CPU has been seated correctly, make sure your cooler is fastened to it snugly and not loose to where you either have a cooling problem or the cpu isnt making adequate connection with the contacts, your GPU is sitting in the socket correctly and not leaning down super far when vertical, ETC. Also does it boot to bios when vertical or like no image whatsoever?

No image when vertical. It literally says no signal on my monitor. Its kinda weird that it stays booted when I turn it on horizontally then lift the case up, so Im not really sure what the issue could be.

1 minute ago, Sergifq said:

Yep I tried re adjusting the ram and gpu today and no signal when trying to boot while standing up.

This is when PC beeper speakers come in handy. If manufacturers want to get rid of those beeper speakers, LCD read outs better be standard. How else are customers going to troubleshoot their systems. Anyways, mini rant over. 

The only thing I can think of are loose output connections. Try fiddling around with them as you boot it upright. These things are pretty hard to troubleshoot without being on site as it is a rather odd ball problem. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Just now, Headless-Rea said:

Check to see that your powerbutton on your case doesnt have a lose connection on either end

If you have a Powerbutton on your mobo see if that works while standing up

Unfortunately no power button on mobo :/

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

This is when PC beeper speakers come in handy. If manufacturers want to get rid of those beeper speakers, LCD read outs better be standard. How else are customers going to troubleshoot their systems. Anyways, mini rant over. 

The only thing I can think of are loose output connections. Try fiddling around with them as you boot it upright. These things are pretty hard to troubleshoot without being on site as it is a rather odd ball problem. 

Yea maybe, originally I thought it was a gpu problem but I turned it on horizontally and stood it up vertically and everything was fine. I am just thinking about calling asrock tommorow and maybe see if they can identify the problem.

1 minute ago, Sergifq said:

No image when vertical. It literally says no signal on my monitor. Its kinda weird that it stays booted when I turn it on horizontally then lift the case up, so Im not really sure what the issue could be.

well, i mean the only thing that still jumps into my mind is some sort of connection issue. Is there some sort of kink in your hdmi or whatever cable your running to your monitor? are one of the cables bad coming from your PSU? is something not firmly connected? ETC. While rechecking each individual input on your board, look at the plugs and see if any of the wires are coming out of the ends or if there are any sharp bends that could result in a "kinked" or broken cable

Just now, Sergifq said:

Yea maybe, originally I thought it was a gpu problem but I turned it on horizontally and stood it up vertically and everything was fine. I am just thinking about calling asrock tommorow and maybe see if they can identify the problem.

The thing is different orientations could cause strain on your cables, causing them to loose connection. 

4 minutes ago, Sergifq said:

Unfortunately no power button on mobo :/

Try jumping it with a screw driver and see if that works ???

Lose cables are the thing probably, what does it say when you boot it up vertically? No signal detected or just plain black screen? If it's not the cables, something's probably is lose and it is going back into it's correct orientation when it is sideways. Cannot explain why it works even though you already have put it back on the right orientation tho.

"It doesn't matter how expensive or how high end your system is, what matters is that you are having fun using it to play the games you love."

• 5 years later...

Shame this didn’t get solved I’m  having the same issue right now :/