Boot loop - RAM died?

Nocte

Hello,

This afternoon I was playing games and I was hit by a BSoD with error KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED with driver NTFS.sys.

My computer restarted and then froze, I held the power button to reset it and it was stuck in a boot loop for a while (which is a known issue with that BSoD).

I get to my BIOS after the mobo POSTs in safe mode, and I notice that only 8GB out of 16GB are detected??? WHAT?

First of all, I am trying now to download a copy of Windows 10 Enterprise since I don't have an installation media anymore to do a clean Windows install since I cannot get past the login screen (if I get there). But, what about my RAM? Did one of my sticks just fail on me?

I have no other systems to test my components on, any help is appreciated.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Just now, firelighter487 said:

try to reseat the ram first. 

And test different slots and different sticks.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

try to reseat the ram first. 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

And test different slots and different sticks.

It's an ITX board so I only have 2 slots really.

I have managed to restart the PC once again and it is showing 16GB. But the computer managed to freeze in BIOS?

I have Fast Boot off, so I don't see how a Windows problem can affect the whole PC even before Windows is loaded up?

I have recently changed my motherboard, could that be the culpript?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Just now, Eibe said:

It's an ITX board so I only have 2 slots really.

I have managed to restart the PC once again and it is showing 16GB. But the computer managed to freeze in BIOS?

I have Fast Boot off, so I don't see how a Windows problem can affect the whole PC even before Windows is loaded up?

I have recently changed my motherboard, could that be the culpript?

If it freezes in the BIOS, then you really have a problem. Verify that your RAM definitely works(if you can boot, run memtest86).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

reseating means taking it out and putting it back in. it helps when one of the sticks is making bad contact or whatever. 

She/Her

@Crunchy Dragon @firelighter487

I don't see how it could be the RAM as I ran MemTest less than a week ago (live usb version), but I will RMA it if I have more problems.

I have reseated the RAM and the computer booted without looping.

Windows went into repair mode and I am starting to do the automatic repair process, I will see if I have any more issues.

Unraid Server

@Crunchy Dragon @firelighter487

Well, I resetted Windows to start from scratch. I get a new BSoD (driver_overrun_stuck_buffer) and now I am stuck in a boot loop again.

All the RAM is being detected etc. What should I do? I am really afraid it's the motheboard as I have changed it less than a month ago ?

EDIT: This time it happened as soon as I applied the previous OCs I had. I tried to restore everything to stock clocks to no avail. 

Unraid Server

New BSOD: kernel security check failure...

Unraid Server

did you make a new Windows installer usb or did you use an old one?

She/Her

Sounds like an issue with the ram to me.

Try booting with only one stick and see if the BSOD continues. If it does, try with the other.

If each stick individually works fine, then i'd be looking at a mobo.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

did you make a new Windows installer usb or did you use an old one?

I used the reset feature for speediness. But it cannot be Windows if the PC freezes inside the BIOS. 

1 hour ago, Jrock said:

Sounds like an issue with the ram to me.

Try booting with only one stick and see if the BSOD continues. If it does, try with the other.

If each stick individually works fine, then i'd be looking at a mobo.

I am RMAing both the RAM and motherboard. Already sent the motherboard back. Will RMA the RAM on Monday. 

Unraid Server