Pc restarts while gaming

Amir Spaha

Hi

I have problem with my pc. I recently buy rx 470, and when I start game (like ARK) pc restarts after few seconds. Before rx 470, I had gtx 1050ti, and it worked fine. I have old PSU tornite 580wats, and it gets very hot... What's the main problem here, is it psu? And what psu your recomend? Rest of sytem is i5 4590, 16gb or ram, and samsung 250gb ssd. When I render something with 100% cpu usage it works just fine, also I have 212 evo cooler

7 minutes ago, Amir Spaha said:

Hi

I have problem with my pc. I recently buy rx 470, and when I start game (like ARK) pc restarts after few seconds. Before rx 470, I had gtx 1050ti, and it worked fine. I have old PSU tornite 580wats, and it gets very hot... What's the main problem here, is it psu? And what psu your recomend? Rest of sytem is i5 4590, 16gb or ram, and samsung 250gb ssd. When I render something with 100% cpu usage it works just fine, also I have 212 evo cooler

In my experience there are a few things that can cause this kind of non-random restart.

1. Heat, if your MB or CPU is getting significantly hotter while gaming than while rendering then it could be a heat shutdown. This would be if you are running right at the edge of thermal shutdown all the time, which seems unlikely since you said that you get to 100% CPU while rendering.
  2. Low or fluctuating   power situation from the 12v line on your PSU, basically if the PSU can't drive the voltage as high as the MB expects it the whole thing will shutdown to protect components. I would guess this is what is happening, since as I recall the 470 has a higher power draw than the 1050ti. I would guess that your old PSU is failing and it is showing up when you start stressing it in game.
  3. Bad drivers crashing, but I would expect to see this prior to running the game since Win10 and browsers actually use the GPU which is unlike earlier versions of both.

I have old PSU tornite 580wats 

Old and uknown psu dont do well... Its not only the raw power , its the quality of the psu , I had buyed a 750 silver psu from a scam cheap tacens(spanish mark) and with nvidia 570gtx ti fried in 1 day (less than 24 hours)

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

6 minutes ago, AncientNerd said:

In my experience there are a few things that can cause this kind of non-random restart.

1. Heat, if your MB or CPU is getting significantly hotter while gaming than while rendering then it could be a heat shutdown. This would be if you are running right at the edge of thermal shutdown all the time, which seems unlikely since you said that you get to 100% CPU while rendering.
  2. Low or fluctuating   power situation from the 12v line on your PSU, basically if the PSU can't drive the voltage as high as the MB expects it the whole thing will shutdown to protect components. I would guess this is what is happening, since as I recall the 470 has a higher power draw than the 1050ti. I would guess that your old PSU is failing and it is showing up when you start stressing it in game.
  3. Bad drivers crashing, but I would expect to see this prior to running the game since Win10 and browsers actually use the GPU which is unlike earlier versions of both.

Thanks for replay; 

1. I renered with cpu with 100% usage some projects for over few hours, and it didn't restart

2. Yea, I think that too, I want to buy new psu, what do u suggest?

3. I installed newest driver from amd site, windows 10

you got a decent cpu a decent gpu and all pc seems well balanced, If i were you I wouldnt risk that computer with a cheap psu , just buy a nice psu (80-90% of my computer problems on my entire life came because when I was young I use to cheap on psu)

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

why did you replace the 1050Ti with a rx 470? 

from top to bottom what budget fits you ( don't buy less than 450-500w 80+ silver)

3 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

you got a decent cpu a decent gpu and all pc seems well balanced, If i were you I wouldnt risk that computer with a cheap psu , just buy a nice psu (80-90% of my computer problems on my entire life came because when I was young I use to cheap on psu)

Ye, thanks. What psu u suggest? I was thinking to buy coolemaster 700wat 80+ silver

I dont know a lot of psu tier but I will stay for you can get at your country with that psu tier list

I like evga and corsair and coolermaster in that order

7 minutes ago, Millidan said:

why did you replace the 1050Ti with a rx 470? 

I gave 1050ti to my little brother to play games, I used integrated intel gpu for regular work, then after some time I just bought rx 470

3 minutes ago, Amir Spaha said:

Ye, thanks. What psu u suggest? I was thinking to buy coolemaster 700wat 80+ silver

You don't need that high a wattage. Get something tier 3 or higher that's 450W or higher. This is a popular choice: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Q7L7YJ/corsair-cx-2017-450w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020120-na

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

You wont pull more than 300w from the wall so dont worry with that 450 you still can oc a bit that cpu

I like the Corsair Hx Gold/Platinum series, and I would probably get a 5-600w just to give a bit of growth room, but everyone is right that 450w should be enough.

I tend to go a bit big on PSU due to some bad experiences early.