Boot loop AFTER posting

Go to solution Solved by CrazyCoconut,

Well I have eventually managed to fix the issue (I had a lot of exams so it took a while). In the end it was a broken motherboard but it also corrupted the os so I had to reinstall Windows. Thanks to Praxis and in particular McManiac for the help!

Hey guys,

Yesterday I tried to turn on my pc after been shutdown for the night (like normal) and I was stuck in a boot loop. However, the interesting thing is that loops after posting, I can enter the bios and change settings without any issues. However, as soon as it tries to boot the os, the system instantly turns off and restarts after a couple of seconds. I have left it for at least 10 minutes and it continued to loop, and only stops after I flick the switch on the psu.

One abnormally I have noticed is when I turn it on the first time (after turning it off at the psu), it takes around 5 seconds longer than normal before posting, subsequent posts take a normal length of time. (I don't know if this is just because it is running a self diagnosis after noticing it had been shut down abnormally (by the psu switch) or if this could be linked) Additionally, I updates the bios to the latest version approx. a week ago and it worked was working fine up until this. (I'm a little scared to try updating the bios to the previous version in case it has a freakout part way through) 

In the past I have had occasional issues with it boot looping where it would fail to post but I would always start up after a couple of restarts. Given this issue is after it has posted I am assuming it is unrelated however who knows.

Troubleshooting so far:

• Reseated ram, graphics card (and power cables) and ssd and hhd cables
  • Reset cmos
  • Removed unnecessary usb peripherals
  • Unplugged case lighting
  • Changed boot order and tried manually selecting boot drive
  • Tried booting to a Windows 10 install usb (same as above, instanly crashes when selecting the drive. Initial reason for this was because I suspected that there may be an issues with Windows being corrupted)

System specs here: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/CrazyCoconut/saved/RJLZxr

Thanks in advance guys, this has got my perplexed,

CrazyCoconut

Aussie!

Also this is a great video, https://youtu.be/pQGtucrJ8hM

u can do a windows repair or log in via safemode.  On a side note is it reading your hard drive in bios.  Have you tiried booting with just one ram stick?

44 minutes ago, CrazyCoconut said:

Hey guys,

Yesterday I tried to turn on my pc after been shutdown for the night (like normal) and I was stuck in a boot loop. However, the interesting thing is that loops after posting, I can enter the bios and change settings without any issues. However, as soon as it tries to boot the os, the system instantly turns off and restarts after a couple of seconds. I have left it for at least 10 minutes and it continued to loop, and only stops after I flick the switch on the psu.

One abnormally I have noticed is when I turn it on the first time (after turning it off at the psu), it takes around 5 seconds longer than normal before posting, subsequent posts take a normal length of time. (I don't know if this is just because it is running a self diagnosis after noticing it had been shut down abnormally (by the psu switch) or if this could be linked) Additionally, I updates the bios to the latest version approx. a week ago and it worked was working fine up until this. (I'm a little scared to try updating the bios to the previous version in case it has a freakout part way through) 

In the past I have had occasional issues with it boot looping where it would fail to post but I would always start up after a couple of restarts. Given this issue is after it has posted I am assuming it is unrelated however who knows.

Troubleshooting so far:

• Reseated ram, graphics card (and power cables) and ssd and hhd cables
  • Reset cmos
  • Removed unnecessary usb peripherals
  • Unplugged case lighting
  • Changed boot order and tried manually selecting boot drive
  • Tried booting to a Windows 10 install usb (same as above, instanly crashes when selecting the drive. Initial reason for this was because I suspected that there may be an issues with Windows being corrupted)

System specs here: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/CrazyCoconut/saved/RJLZxr

Thanks in advance guys, this has got my perplexed,

CrazyCoconut

Had a very similar issue at work recently, had a system that just wouldn't boot from anything, HDD with windows, linux live usb, windows install media, nothing would work. Turned out to be a bad CPU, doesn't sounds like your issue is quite the same though so hopefully it's not that bad. What happens if you unplug any drives? Does it just sit saying no boot devices or does it still crash. What if you try and boot from a usb with no HDD installed. Might also be worth give @Praxis727's suggestion a shot, booting with only one stick of ram (try a couple of single sticks in case you happen to try and boot with one that is bad).

I ilke trains.

1 hour ago, Praxis727 said:

u can do a windows repair or log in via safemode.  On a side note is it reading your hard drive in bios.  Have you tiried booting with just one ram stick?

Thanks for replying. I am unable to do a windows repair or login via safe mode as it won't even begin to boot windows, it crashes immediately after the bios. Yes, both drives show up in the bios. I tried both ram sticks in various different slots and no success.

Aussie!

ok so you hit the f8 key to bring up boot menu from startup then?  After that I suggest a bootable boot drive.  From there you can use the cmd and windows repair and diagnostics.  If need be an overlay install

1 hour ago, MCManiac52 said:

Had a very similar issue at work recently, had a system that just wouldn't boot from anything, HDD with windows, linux live usb, windows install media, nothing would work. Turned out to be a bad CPU, doesn't sounds like your issue is quite the same though so hopefully it's not that bad. What happens if you unplug any drives? Does it just sit saying no boot devices or does it still crash. What if you try and boot from a usb with no HDD installed. Might also be worth give @Praxis727's suggestion a shot, booting with only one stick of ram (try a couple of single sticks in case you happen to try and boot with one that is bad).

Your story there is a little scary but fingers crossed it will be a simple fix. Interestingly, when both drives are disconnected the crash still occurs. With both drives still unplugged I tried booting to a windows install usb but the same thing. As I said above in praxis's reply, I tried both ram sticks in various different slots and no success. Thanks for replying 

Aussie!

2 minutes ago, Praxis727 said:

ok so you hit the f8 key to bring up boot menu from startup then?  After that I suggest a bootable boot drive.  From there you can use the cmd and windows repair and diagnostics.  If need be an overlay install

Yes, in my case was f12 but it brought up the boot menu. As I said in the original post, I have tried booting to a Windows install usb but that doesn't work. Does that count as a "bootable boot drive"?

Aussie!

5 minutes ago, CrazyCoconut said:

Your story there is a little scary but fingers crossed it will be a simple fix. Interestingly, when both drives are disconnected the crash still occurs. With both drives still unplugged I tried booting to a windows install usb but the same thing. As I said above in praxis's reply, I tried both ram sticks in various different slots and no success. Thanks for replying 

If the machine still crashes without the drives plugged in, we can at least rule actually booting the machine out of the question, so something is going wrong once the machine has posted when it's loading devices. In this case it would probably be ram, gpu, cpu or any other additional components you have installed. Did you try turning the machine on with bare minimum connected? (Motherboard, cpu, minimal ram) and just using your motherboards display output. If so did you get the same results? Did it take slightly longer to crash or anything? Haven you overclocked any of your components at all? More specifically any over-volting on the cpu or ram?

I ilke trains.

2 minutes ago, MCManiac52 said:

If the machine still crashes without the drives plugged in, we can at least rule actually booting the machine out of the question, so something is going wrong once the machine has posted when it's loading devices. In this case it would probably be ram, gpu, cpu or any other additional components you have installed. Did you try turning the machine on with bare minimum connected? (Motherboard, cpu, minimal ram) and just using your motherboards display output. If so did you get the same results? Did it take slightly longer to crash or anything? Haven you overclocked any of your components at all? More specifically any over-volting on the cpu or ram?

I will try booting it with only the minimum components tomorrow. As for overclocking, I ran a overclock that was a preset on the motherboard for a while but at some stage went back to just stock when I didnt notice any significant improvement in performance or responsivness. As for gpu, I only ever played with clock speed for a couple of hours before going back to stock and have never touched the voltage as being a 390x it makes my room hot enough as it is. Have never touched the ram.

Aussie!

7 minutes ago, CrazyCoconut said:

I will try booting it with only the minimum components tomorrow. As for overclocking, I ran a overclock that was a preset on the motherboard for a while but at some stage went back to just stock when I didnt notice any significant improvement in performance or responsivness. As for gpu, I only ever played with clock speed for a couple of hours before going back to stock and have never touched the voltage as being a 390x it makes my room hot enough as it is. Have never touched the ram.

Fair enough okay, let us know what happens with just the bare minimum and we'll go from there. If it works, slowly add components until it starts crashing again

I ilke trains.

17 hours ago, MCManiac52 said:

Fair enough okay, let us know what happens with just the bare minimum and we'll go from there. If it works, slowly add components until it starts crashing again

Tried with just the bare minimum. Unplugged litterally everything other than the monitor, psu and motherboard/cpu power but exactly the same issue.

Aussie!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have eventually managed to fix the issue (I had a lot of exams so it took a while). In the end it was a broken motherboard but it also corrupted the os so I had to reinstall Windows. Thanks to Praxis and in particular McManiac for the help!

Aussie!

12 minutes ago, CrazyCoconut said:

No problem, glad it's all working now!

I ilke trains.