8K Resolution on 4K Screen

ExploringFate

I have a HP Envy Model: 15T-AS100 CTO with integrated Intel I7 7th Generation / Intel HD Graphics 620 (Bits Per Pixel 32 @ 60p Hz). The screen on this laptop is a 4K HDR 3840 x 2160.

I am curious about something. I am able to view 8K content on this laptop even though the design and Specs are 4K. On any other device I'm on, I am only allowed to view content at that max resolution of the that device and not given the option to go higher or choice to go higher. My question is how is this possible?

My best guess is that since everything (except the 32 Bits Per Pixel) match 8K resolution and both hardware and software are capable of hosting it that the 1 Bits Per Pixel difference isn't factoring in. I noticed when change resolution a minuscule difference and you really have to look to tell the difference between 4K and 8K. Would have posted photos but I am only allowed to upload 20MB and can't upload them all.

you can absolutely view content in higher resolution but it will be scaled down to 4K again and in this case probably already from the GPU because you for sure dont have a cable thats capable of 8k 60hz.