Streaming Sucks In my House, could it be my router?

dlscientist

I have tried streaming my pc and my xbox one in my house and I just cant get either to have good performance.

For my xbox one, I wanted to stream my xbox one to my pc.

1. I tried a gigabit wired connection but the quality is so bad.
  2. I messed around with the advanced stream settings and the quality was bad.
  3. I tried a direct connection between my xbox one and pc and the quality was bad.

for my pc, I wanted the pc to be in the basement and my keyboard, monitor, mouse... etc to be in another part of my house.

1. I have tried the steam link using a wired gigabit connection between the pc and router and the steam link and router. The quality was bad.
  2. I tried messing around with the steam link settings, and tried installing beta firmware for the steamlink, but the quality was still bad.
  3. I tried steam in home streaming with the same results as the steam link. 

What I mean by "bad quality"

1. input lag
  2. dropped frames
  3. unstable connection

What I think is wrong

1. Weak router processor (My router is a Net gear R6100)

Please help me.

I have a setup close to this working at my house. i have my computer in the basement then i have a laptop(that is not powerful enough to game on) in my room and i use parsec to remote in and play on the computer in the basement. as long as the connection is wired, the game play isn't terrible. 

https://parsecgaming.com/

1 minute ago, Boss36 said:

I have a setup close to this working at my house. i have my computer in the basement then i have a laptop(that is not powerful enough to game on) in my room and i use parsec to remote in and play on the computer in the basement. as long as the connection is wired, the game play isn't terrible. 

https://parsecgaming.com/

Define "isn't terrible". Also, do you have a router with a powerful processor?

2 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Which router do you have?

Netgear R6100

5 minutes ago, dlscientist said:

Netgear R6100

That only support 10/100 Ethernet not gigabit. Although 100 mbps should be fine for streaming, after all the steam link only had a 10/100 network jack on it.

You sure you have good Ethernet cables and such.  

that's a decent router, and using wired shouldn't be a problem, so i would contact the ISP

Have you checked your internet speeds

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 minute ago, Catsrules said:

That only support 10/100 Ethernet not gigabit. Although 100 mbps should be fine for streaming, the steam link only had a 10/100 network jack on it.

The cables were bought from ebay brand new. They are cheap chinese ethernet cables but are shielded and had no issues with other tasks. 

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

that's a decent router, and using wired shouldn't be a problem, so i would contact the ISP

Have you checked your internet speeds

My internet speeds are 35.1 Mbps download, 6.92 Mbps upload. I am just trying to stream in my house, not over the internet.

2 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

That only support 10/100 Ethernet not gigabit. Although 100 mbps should be fine for streaming, the steam link only had a 10/100 network jack on it.

I forgot that one didn't have gigabit, but yeah 100 should be fine for streaming. I think he's got bad wires or bad isp speed

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 minute ago, dlscientist said:

My internet speeds are 35.1 Mbps download, 6.92 Mbps upload. I am just trying to stream in my house, not over the internet.

how long is the wire going? if you grabbed some cheap cables, it might work short distance but suffer in a long run. Or if you're hooking to the wall, maybe the wiring in your house is old or a jack is going bad

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

how long is the wire going? if you grabbed some cheap cables, it might work short distance but suffer in a long run. Or if you're hooking to the wall, maybe the wiring in your house is old or a jack is going bad

I have tried multiple cables of different lengths, still the xbox stream and the pc stream was bad. And I am not plugging the cables into a wall outlet. The cable from my pc to my router is 50ft cat 6 and the cable from my router to my steam link was 50ft cat 6. And I tried both cables and they work fine. And with the xbox, I even tried using 1 foot cables and disconnected all other devices so that only the two were connected and the quality was still bad. 

23 minutes ago, dlscientist said:

I have tried multiple cables of different lengths, still the xbox stream and the pc stream was bad. And I am not plugging the cables into a wall outlet. The cable from my pc to my router is 50ft cat 6 and the cable from my router to my steam link was 50ft cat 6. And I tried both cables and they work fine. And with the xbox, I even tried using 1 foot cables and disconnected all other devices so that only the two were connected and the quality was still bad. 

So in your test you had you desktop connected with a 1 foot cable to the router that was connected with a 1 foot cable to the xbox correct?

Then you tried streaming from the xbox to PC it sucked, so you tried streaming from the PC to xbox it also sucked.

Is that correct?

That is really strange, it is possible it is your router, although I have a hard time believing it is struggling with a 100mpbs connection shouldn't even need to route that traffic. If it is your router that would have to be one of the worst routers in history.

If you happen to have a switch I would try plugging the Xbox and PC and router into that and see if that fixes the problem. That would remove any stress on the router.

I am not sure if streaming would work but you could try directly connecting your PC and Xbox together bypassing the router completely, you will have to configure the IP and subnet mask manually on both.

For example

PC

IP 192.168.1.1

Subnet 255.255.255.0

xbox

IP 192.168.1.2

subnet 255.255.255.0

Again I am not sure if this will work, these devices rely so heavily on an active internet connection steaming may not work over a network without it.

1 minute ago, Catsrules said:

So in your test you had you desktop connected with a 1 foot cable to the router that was connected with a 1 foot cable to the xbox correct?

Then you tried streaming from the xbox it sucked, so you tried streaming from the PC it also sucked.

Is that correct?

That is really strange, it is possible it is your router, although I have a hard time believing it is struggling with a 100mpbs connection shouldn't even need to route that traffic. If you happen to have a switch I would try plugging the Xbox and PC and router into that and see if that fixes the problem.

I am not sure if streaming would work but you could try directly connecting your PC and Xbox together bypassing the router completely, you will have to configure the IP and subnet mask manually on both.

For example

PC

IP 192.168.1.1

Subnet 255.255.255.0

xbox

IP 192.168.1.2

subnet 255.255.255.0

Again I am not sure if this will work, these devices rely so heavily on an active internet connection steaming may not work over a network without it.

Tried doing the direct connection with multiple cables and used 2 of my routers as a switch using IP trickery and plugging both into the lan ports and disconnecting the internet. The xbox needs the internet in order to stream so I was forced to plug the xbox in. I also tried a direct pc to xbox one connection using ip trickery. But both resulted in bad quality. 

1 minute ago, dlscientist said:

I also tried a direct pc to xbox one connection using ip trickery. But both resulted in bad quality. 

Oh so even with the router out of the picture it still sucked. Correct?

I am starting to wonder if it is the Xbox or PC that is having problems.

You said you tried a steam link with you PC and the quality was bad. I wonder if something is mess up on the PC side of things. What is your PC specs?

Do you have a secondary PC you could test the xbox with?

I second @Catsrules concerns with possible bad hardware