3 Displays, PC+MAC, I want to keep 144 Hz and be able to switch inputs

Hello everyone,

my first post here. Today I stumbled upon an interesting display puzzle, so I came here to share. The owner has three displays connected to his PC. He also uses a MAC for work. He wants to be able to switch between the inputs from the PC and MAC to all three displays, but he wants to keep his first display running at 144 Hz. I don't know the exact models.

1) 1080p, 144 Hz, DisplayPort or DVI-D

2) 1080p, HDMI

3) 1080p, HDMI

His PC uses DVI-D for the first display, there's also a free DP. The Mac has DP and USB type C. He stated that he doesn't want to use too many dongles or reductions. Is there a way?

PS: I thought of something like this with a KVM/switch in the middle.

display_puzzle.jpg.f72a94db5b91829caca23c019404fe70.jpg

But as I'm not using a multi-display setup, I'm not sure if this would work, or if there are any KVMs with both DisplayPort and HDMI outputs. Even with this, he'd have to use a KVM with 3 or more DP outputs and use DP->HDMI reduction for his two HDMI displays.

Edited by Realpsojed

I did some searching on google and it seems like most of the KVM switches available cap at 60 hz, so you'll just have to switch the cable between the computers for 144 hz

Living Room: HTPC (M1 Mac Mini 8/256) HiFi (Furman Elite-15 PFi > Cambridge 851N > Emotiva A300 > Focal Chora 826) Display (65-inch LG Oled, 22-inch Dell)

Office: Workstation (AMD 3900X, RX5700XT, 32GB) Headphones (Cambridge DacMagic+ > Schiit Lyr 3 > DT 990. 2 Sonos One in Stereo) Display (32-inch Gigabyte)

Yeah that's what I found too.

But I thought I could set it up so that you have a cable for 144 Hz plugged directly between the PC and display, then I would add another cable that goes into the KVM, so the 144 Hz display would use the direct cable for gaming, and the switch cable (at 60 Hz) for MAC work.

10 hours ago, Realpsojed said:

Yeah that's what I found too.

But I thought I could set it up so that you have a cable for 144 Hz plugged directly between the PC and display, then I would add another cable that goes into the KVM, so the 144 Hz display would use the direct cable for gaming, and the switch cable (at 60 Hz) for MAC work.

Sure that would work you'd just have to switch the input with a few button presses on the monitor UI.

Living Room: HTPC (M1 Mac Mini 8/256) HiFi (Furman Elite-15 PFi > Cambridge 851N > Emotiva A300 > Focal Chora 826) Display (65-inch LG Oled, 22-inch Dell)

Office: Workstation (AMD 3900X, RX5700XT, 32GB) Headphones (Cambridge DacMagic+ > Schiit Lyr 3 > DT 990. 2 Sonos One in Stereo) Display (32-inch Gigabyte)