Sharing WiFi Over Ethernet Ubuntu 18.04

FaiL___

Hi, I am trying to set up a temporary solution to get internet on my desktop (no wireless card, and the ethernet cable won't reach until I get a longer cable tomorrow). I have my laptop (which is connected to the WiFi) and I have my desktop (which I can wire into my laptop). I do know this is possible on Windows (I did it on this laptop a few months ago, but have since then switched over to Linux, and am a bit of a amateur). Thanks in advance.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

3 minutes ago, FaiL___ said:

Hi, I am trying to set up a temporary solution to get internet on my desktop (no wireless card, and the ethernet cable won't reach until I get a longer cable tomorrow). I have my laptop (which is connected to the WiFi) and I have my desktop (which I can wire into my laptop). I do know this is possible on Windows (I did it on this laptop a few months ago, but have since then switched over to Linux, and am a bit of a amateur). Thanks in advance.

Ok, this question is an attempt to find an alternative solution: Do you have an old android phone?

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Ok, this question is an attempt to find an alternative solution: Do you have an old android phone?

Not an old one, I have one that I am using at the minute, will that work? Or will using it mess it up?

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Just now, FaiL___ said:

Not an old one, I have one that I am using at the minute, will that work? Or will using it mess it up?

It won't mess it up, although it may be a bit slower if you have a phone that uses USB 2.0 or if you don't have any USB 3.0 or 3.1 ports on your computer. First grab a USB cable, then open settings and go to the network connections sections and open the Hotspot tab or bubble (or Tethering if you have it), and then plug your phone in and turn on the settings labeled USB Tethering. (not necessarily in that order although you need the phone to be plugged into a computer for this to work.)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

It won't mess it up, although it may be a bit slower if you have a phone that uses USB 2.0 or if you don't have any USB 3.0 or 3.1 ports on your computer. First grab a USB cable, then open settings and go to the network connections sections and open the Hotspot tab or bubble (or Tethering if you have it), and then plug your phone in and turn on the settings labeled USB Tethering. (not necessarily in that order although you need the phone to be plugged into a computer for this to work.)

Afterwords your computer should detect it as an Ethernet connection.

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Afterwords your computer should detect it as an Ethernet connection.

That's perfect thanks man, I have a OnePlus 5T (USB-C) and a single USB 3 on my PC, so should be good.

1 minute ago, FaiL___ said:

That's perfect thanks man, I have a OnePlus 5T (USB-C) and a single USB 3 on my PC, so should be good.

Your welcome! I'm glad I could help! :)