Best Value Thin and Light Gaming Laptop

Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,
1 hour ago, forregacc02 said:

Which would you personally prefer between the GS65 and Aero 15x?

What does LM mean, btw.

Compared to Aero 15X, GS65 has slightly better cooling but worse build quality. Also shorter battery life.

LM = liquid metal

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for the best value thin and light gaming laptop. I don't have a specific config in mind, but I have an idea on how different configs would perform on games. I will be using all the built-in components of the laptop (screen, keyboard, speakers, mic) and the only peripheral I'll be using is a Logitech M337 Mouse.

These are what I'm looking at right now.

1.) http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-15/spd/xps-15-9560-laptop/fncwxb1645sv2

• At $1,079 ($250 off + 10% off voucher), this is looking to be a great value for me. I always loved the XPS lineup, and the 9560 is no exception. The great build quality and the 97whr battery is what I love the most about this laptop. The GTX 1050 onboard don't seem a lot to me, but for this price, I'm not complaining.

2.) https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-Smallest-i7-8750H-GeForce/dp/B07D37VBVC/

• At $1,899, you're not getting a lot for your money in terms of specs. 1060 Max-Q, 60hz screen, and 256gb storage only. I couldn't config it to a higher spec, since it would totally blow away its value proposition. The reason I'm still considering this, is well, it's Razer. I've never seen this laptop in person yet, but I'm expecting it to have the best keyboard, and the best build quality among thin and light gaming laptops.

3.) https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS65-Stealth-THIN-050-i7-8750H/dp/B07BNXN12Q/

• At $2,099, I love this laptop. Great design, and great value. Build quality is okay, but not a dealbreaker. What we're getting here is a full-fledged 1060, 144hz screen, 512gb NVME, and dual channel memory out of the box. This is a gaming ready laptop the moment you unbox it. The 512gb storage is a big plus for me, cause I know I'll be scratching a lot on a 256gb.

4.) https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Aero-15X-v8-BK4-i7-8750H/dp/B07BSXCCHK/

• At $2,299, it's a fair premium over the GS65. We're basically getting the same specs here, but with a beefier battery and a 1070 Max-Q over a 1060. I'm a bit worried about the Max-Q design here, since some games might actually prefer the higher core and memory speeds of the 1060 over more CUDA cores of the 1070 Max-Q. Also, I would have preferred it to be dual channel, but I guess it's a plus for some people to have it on single stick for upgradeability. Design wise, it's a good design, better build quality than the GS65, but I just prefer the overall look of the GS65. Still worth a consideration.

Basically, I want a coffee shop laptop that can do triple A's at home and solid frames on LAN parties. Hope you guys can help me on this. Your opinions, or different laptop suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, forregacc02 said:

great build quality

It has many issues

9 minutes ago, forregacc02 said:

Razer

best build quality

Worst build quality and QC. Avoid

Is battery life important to you?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

7 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

It has many issues

Worst build quality and QC. Avoid

Is battery life important to you?

Not very important. A good 4 hours of web surfing is fine. The Razer, I'm willing to let go. But the 9560, why? I love this laptop, and I think it's really good for the price

XPS overheats and throttles issues.

GS65 if you dont care about upgrade and battery life.

Aero 15x if you do, must get LM

21 minutes ago, TLCH723 said:

XPS overheats and throttles issues.

GS65 if you dont care about upgrade and battery life.

Aero 15x if you do, must get LM

I see. I would still keep the XPS as a consideration though. I just can't let go of that thing.

What does LM mean, btw.

22 minutes ago, forregacc02 said:

I see. I would still keep the XPS as a consideration though. I just can't let go of that thing.

What does LM mean, btw.

I have the aero 15x bc i need the battery life and want to upgrade the ram. But there are a lot of ram that dont work with this computer

1 hour ago, forregacc02 said:

What does LM mean, btw.

Compared to Aero 15X, GS65 has slightly better cooling but worse build quality. Also shorter battery life.

LM = liquid metal

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128