Windows 10 Ugly??

Nexis3120
6 minutes ago, Nexis3120 said:

Is there any third party software out there that makes Windows 10 look like Vista/7? I have used Classic Shell but it has been buggy. 

I'm not aware of an all-in-one software package that can do this.

However, there are a lot of tutorials online that explain very well how to transform Windows 10 into a visual clone of Windows 7 (by altering settings, installing different programs etc.)

5 hours ago, Nexis3120 said:

Is there any third party software out there that makes Windows 10 look like Vista/7? I have used Classic Shell but it has been buggy. 

There is this Vista theme for Windows 10: http://sagorpirbd.deviantart.com/art/Vista-Themes-for-Windows-10-521781687

However, it was last updated to work with Win 10 14393, and I don't know if it will be compatible with the latest version. Microsoft have a habit of changing things about the Win 10 interface system with each major update, breaking 3rd-party mods like start menu replacements. It is expected that Microsoft does it on purpose to try to force people to use the default Win 10 start menu and UI design, which Microsoft harvests personal user data from to sell for profit.

There are also these Windows 7 type themes by the same person. They haven't been updated since 2016, though:

Aero 7 Themes for Win10 Final

:: Soft Glass 10 :: for Win10 Final

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

• 3 weeks later...

In a perfect world for me Microsoft would make Windows 10 look like Windows Vista. I highly doubt that will happen, but I can dream I guess. I just really wish that Microsoft would move from the metro theme and back to the areo themes. 

i liked the aero theme so much better. 

i never liked the metro design, and i never use the metro apps so.. to me the theming feels very inconsistent on Windows 10 as well.. open up the calculator and it's a completely different style to everything else. 

She/Her

Windows 10 has a retro design and appear to be meant to look along the lines of Windows 3.1 - maybe as a nostalgia trip for some people working at Microsoft. Regardless, it's friggin ugly. Windows Vista and 7 look insanely more more modern and sophisticated than Windows 10.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

10 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Windows 10 has a retro design and appear to be meant to look along the lines of Windows 3.1 - maybe as a nostalgia trip for some people working at Microsoft. Regardless, it's friggin ugly. Windows Vista and 7 look insanely more more modern and sophisticated than Windows 10.

If Microsoft tried to make Windows 10 look along the lines of Windows 3.1, then they’ve really failed miserably :-P

20 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

If Microsoft tried to make Windows 10 look along the lines of Windows 3.1, then they’ve really failed miserably :-P

Here's Windows 3.1 running in a Windows 10 window:

5b2a3b8aa4a26_Windows3.1and10.png.ddb7a43ff462d1defb59f4837bbee1a5.png

So, I would disagree that Microsoft have failed to make Windows 10 resemble Windows 3.1.

Both Windows 3.1 and Windows 10 share the same retro design characteristics:

hard corners everywhere

flat, mono-tone colours

excessive walls of white and grey

ultra-thin window borders

minimal embellishments

I think it really does seem like Microsoft was aiming for a retro Windows 3.1 look and feel with Windows 10. And the result is close enough that Windows 10's look about immediately reminded me of Windows 3.1.

Maybe Windows 10's design was an endeavour of nostalgia for some long-time developers at Microsoft. That style started with Windows 8, Ballmer's last Windows, so perhaps it was started out of a desire of his to dwell in a nostalgia for really old Windows.