I just got the MSI GS65 Stealth Thin, and the screen randomly goes into sleep mode OR turns the screen black.

yourock101

I'll try to explain this as well as I can.

I got this laptop in the mail 3 days ago, and after using it for a while the laptop randomly went into sleep mode for no reason. I had no idea what had happened, so once I got it to turn back on I started doing research on how to fix it. The first thing I did was go into the power management settings and make it so only the power button can make the system go into sleep mode (I even made it so closing the lid did nothing).

The problem seemed to be resolved until it happened again, however this time the system did not go into sleep mode, but the screen just went black for a while. The screen does not move while this happens either.

The next thing I tried to do is update the intel graphics drivers, which had the same effect of making it seem okay for a while, however a few hours later it happened again. The screen still randomly turns off now, but the frequency is very reduced. I'm asking the LTT community on here to help further focus my search for the cause, as at the moment I don't know if it's a hardware or software defect. I even tried disabling the MSI programs like MSI True Color, etc. Unfortunatey, that didn't hep either.

If there are any steps that I did not take that you guys think might help, please let me know. If I end having no other options left, I can still exchange it for a new one under warranty.

Here's the exact model link, it was purchased through best buy.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-512gb-solid-state-drive-matte-black-with-gold-diamond-cut/6211741.p?skuId=6211741

I'm also using the most recent public update of Windows 10.

If you need any more information, I'd be glad to provide it.

Thank you all, and hopefully we can find a solution together.

I'd go ahead and exchange it for a different one. (Or for something else like the Aero 15X)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Also, I forgot to mention. When the system went into sleep mode, the keyboard and fans would turn off as well as the screen. Now when the screen goes off the keyboard and fans stay on.

I don't think this is hardware since updating and changing software aspects fixed some of the symptoms, though I could be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

EDIT: Discharging the battery using the paperclip hole on the rear seems to have corrected my issue.

I also bought this.

I also experienced black screen.

Within a week, during the "burn in" period I run to install essential business tools and etc., the screen went dark, but the YouTube video I had running in the background played through the audio.  Then the thing apparently died, which is odd because I had left it charging for over 48 hours, or so I thought...perhaps it was using power while plugged in and the battery went dead....and that is why my screen went dark.  As a battery saving mechanism.  But I doubt it.  I'm in the middle of [hoping] recharging it to see if that resolves, otherwise the number one YouTube solution I've found is to disconnect the battery and discharge the device because apparently the screen is over charged?

Also, there is a contact number on the back of mine, 1-888-447-6564 M-F, 0500-0400 PST.   

I plan on calling tomorrow during the more routine business hours, though it's nice that they have 23 hour coverage.

I'll keep you updated in case we track along similar issue.

Peace!

~JC

• 5 months later...

I hate to revive an old thread, but I noticed that this was never solved and I wanted to leave the information here for anyone else who has this issue with this laptop. This issue is directly caused by the magnetic sensor at the bottom right corner of the laptop. If magnetic metal comes too close to this spot, the screen closed sensor gets tripped. It is apparent to me that there is some sort of hardware switch wired from here to the screen to force the screen off even if your power settings are set to leave the screen on when it is closed. Not a very smart design move by MSI in my opinion. What's the point of making a forced action like this when it is adjustable in the OS? Anyways, if you still have this laptop, or for anyone else that has it, hope this helps!