Sharing a partition on a dual booted system with 2 drives

Go to solution Solved by G27Racer_188,

I don't know if this will work, but you can try.

Under linux just make a partition that you would like to be shared, but leave it un-allocated. Than format it under windows.

I recently replaced my dvd drive with a drive. My current configuration has windows installed on a 500gb ssd and linux mint 18.3 on a 1tb hard drive. I have already successfully dual booted the two operating systems. What I am trying to do now is partition the 1tb linux drive (with preferably an ntfs file system) and share that partition between both operating systems for general data storage. I already partitioned the drive in linux with gparted with an ntfs file system, but the new ntfs partition does not show up in windows. I have attached a screenshot from disk management in windows.

If anyone can help me with a solution I would really appreciate it. I am used to windows and just started to get into linux.

Capture.PNG

14 minutes ago, jacques1mouton1 said:

I am used to windows and just started to get into linux.

Windows is a dick to other OSes.

My guess is you need to partition the drive under Windows, and Mint should see it.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

17 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Windows is a dick to other OSes.

My guess is you need to partition the drive under Windows, and Mint should see it.

I would like to try to avoid that, windows HATES linux and I have a feeling that it would completely wipe both the boot and data partition.

(Seeing that the partitions do not show up in disk management)

Under linux just make a partition that you would like to be shared, but leave it un-allocated. Than format it under windows.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

10 hours ago, G27Racer_188 said:

Great idea, it worked, thanks.