Laptop as Streaming Device

Hello LTT Community,

currently I have a HP laptop with and i5-6200U (2.3 GHz) and 8GB RAM. My main Rig has an i7-6700k, 16GB RAM and a 1070. My question is: Is it possible to use my laptop as a streaming device, while gaming on my PC? I want to do that because I don't own a second monitor and I want all the horsepower to go into the game I am playing (Thinking of Bless Online head start, which will be hectic). Will I need a capture card to achieve that if possible?

Thanks

What GPU does your laptop have? Furthermore, what kind of streaming setup are you going for? You stated the following:

21 minutes ago, Z-Gaming said:

Is it possible to use my laptop as a streaming device, while gaming on my PC? I want to do that because I don't own a second monitor and I want all the horsepower to go into the game I am playing (Thinking of Bless Online head start, which will be hectic).

Do you intend use your desktop as an encoding server for your laptop? In that case, your laptop would be responsible for simply playing the game and sending un-encoded framebuffer content over to a second machine (your desktop), which would then take over for encoding and distributing the video stream. Sounds somewhat similar to:

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/separate-computer-for-encoding.5064/

21 minutes ago, Z-Gaming said:

Hello LTT Community,

currently I have a HP laptop with and i5-6200U (2.3 GHz) and 8GB RAM. My main Rig has an i7-6700k, 16GB RAM and a 1070. My question is: Is it possible to use my laptop as a streaming device, while gaming on my PC? I want to do that because I don't own a second monitor and I want all the horsepower to go into the game I am playing (Thinking of Bless Online head start, which will be hectic). Will I need a capture card to achieve that if possible?

Thanks

You got early access to Bless Online?!

33 minutes ago, Z-Gaming said:

Hello LTT Community,

Thanks

Since your laptop has a 1070, you can get an Nvidia shield or shield tablet to stream from anywhere. I have the tablet, which has been a really great device for me, but the discontinued those and you can only buy those used. You can also use steam to stream from one PC to another if they are on the same network. You just install steam on the tow machines and install the games on the machine you want to stream from. When you log into steam on the second PC, it will show a popup saying that you have games available to stream.

1 hour ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

What GPU does your laptop have? Furthermore, what kind of streaming setup are you going for? You stated the following:

Do you intend use your desktop as an encoding server for your laptop? In that case, your laptop would be responsible for simply playing the game and sending un-encoded framebuffer content over to a second machine (your desktop), which would then take over for encoding and distributing the video stream. Sounds somewhat similar to:

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/separate-computer-for-encoding.5064/

52 minutes ago, Tom Withnell said:

Since your laptop has a 1070, you can get an Nvidia shield or shield tablet to stream from anywhere. I have the tablet, which has been a really great device for me, but the discontinued those and you can only buy those used. You can also use steam to stream from one PC to another if they are on the same network. You just install steam on the tow machines and install the games on the machine you want to stream from. When you log into steam on the second PC, it will show a popup saying that you have games available to stream.

Apparently i didnt clarify that enough. My laptop has no GPU, and i will be playing on my main RIG, i just want to stream from my laptop if possible

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

You got early access to Bless Online?!

I will start on JP for a week and then get a founders pack to play on the 28th

So, in this case, it would be the reverse of what I stated? The laptop does the encoding and distribution instead?

1 minute ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

So, in this case, it would be the reverse of what I stated? The laptop does the encoding and distribution instead?

Yup

3 minutes ago, Z-Gaming said:

Yup

I don't know if the Core i5 6200U can handle that workload. And I don't think you can upgrade the CPU in your laptop (probably BGA, with the way Intel does their mobile chips). You'll want a 4-core if you're gaming and streaming without a capture card. Even if the laptop isn't doing the encoding. In fact, you may just want to use Intel QuickSync and call it a day...

1 minute ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

I don't know if the Core i5 6200U can handle that workload.

Say i give it a try. Where could i find how to set everything up. Alternative can i be logged in to twitch from my main streaming and log my laptop to reply/ post links etc. ?

2 hours ago, Z-Gaming said:

Apparently i didnt clarify that enough. My laptop has no GPU, and i will be playing on my main RIG, i just want to stream from my laptop if possible

Sorry, I misunderstood. I know you can use steam stream to your laptop. Just have to have them on the same network. You can use this across a vpn connection remotely as well. Since moonlight is more or less abandonware, it isn't much of an option.