How to share folder through lan on linux?

I am a windows user. Who switched to linux recently and didn't know much about linux. I am using Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.4. I used to make a folder and share it with my phone through es file explorer through lan (wifi router). But I am not able to do that on ubuntu. I enabled sharing option in settings and enabled LAN network sharing for that specific folder on my desktop. Even I also tried using samba but nothing happened. I just used to enable folder for sharing through lan in windows and in my phone I go to es file explorer and then lan. Then search for the devices on lan entered my login password and I am nlw able to remotely access those files on my phone. But how can I do that in ubuntu. Please help.

If you used Samba correctly, then your phone should see Ubuntu as a windows computer, and act exactly as it did before. See this tutorial, and do the changes to /etc/samba/smb.conf that it recommends, changing the values to your specific scenario, of course. Also, it would be wise to check if a firewall (iptables of uncomplicated firewall) is causing issues. If you post your output of `sudo iptables -S` then it is possible to see your entire firewall configuration, and see if it will block Samba. Failing the linked tutorial, try accessing the share from a Windows computer or another Ubuntu computer, also running Samba.