CPU running at 90% with 1 chrome tab open.

I have one chrome tab open and my cpu is running 90% at 60oC on all cores. It's an i5 8600k being cooled with the Cryorig H5 ultimate. For some reason it has been automatically overclocked to 4.00ghz.  

help.png

3 minutes ago, Gamer1012 said:

I have one chrome tab open and my cpu is running 90% at 60oC on all cores. It's an i5 8600k being cooled with the Cryorig H5 ultimate. For some reason it has been automatically overclocked to 4.00ghz.  

help.png

In the Processes Tab you would be able to see what task is using the CPU maybe that would help you ?

4 minutes ago, Callum Stringer said:

In the Processes Tab you would be able to see what task is using the CPU maybe that would help you ?

why would 1 chrome use 90% xD

27 minutes ago, Gamer1012 said:

Have you even checked on the processes tab to see if it is chrome using 90%? Cause it's highly likely it isn't chrome, and that its some other background service instead.

If it does turn out to be chrome, you can right click the title bar(very top of the window) and choose task manager, that opens a window that shows you what in chrome is using your CPU. It's probably a miner if it does turn out to be chrome.

It'll show as an extension most likely, double click and it'll take you to that extension in chrome settings, where you can turn it off, or delete it(recommended)

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

13 minutes ago, Gamer1012 said:

help.png

Please run AdwCleaner, , you probably have a crypto mining extension or script running in the background without knowing it.

This extension or script is being executed and "installed" on chrome when accessing sites like ThePirateBay;)

14 minutes ago, Gamer1012 said:

you will see background tasks that are running how do you know that chrome is using all the CPU Power?

6 minutes ago, Callum Stringer said:

you will see background tasks that are running how do you know that chrome is using all the CPU Power?

1. That's the only task open

2. It said

4 minutes ago, Gamer1012 said:

2. It said

Then follow the steps I suggested.

18 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

If it does turn out to be chrome, you can right click the title bar(very top of the window) and choose task manager, that opens a window that shows you what in chrome is using your CPU. It's probably a miner if it does turn out to be chrome.

It'll show as an extension most likely, double click and it'll take you to that extension in chrome settings, where you can turn it off, or delete it(recommended)

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

56 minutes ago, Gamer1012 said:

2. It said

Thats the only task open? There are background applications running without you knowing

if you open Chrome, you can press "Shift+Esc" to bring up task manager for Chrome. This will show you what extensions and tabs are running and how much of the CPU they are using. Use this info to determine what exactly is running instead of just saying Chrome.

A lot of new Motherboards will automatically "Boost" the CPU int he BIOS. This would be why it's overclocked. If you want to disable it, just boot into BIOS and disable "Boost". You would have to look up where to find it exactly. 

With my now old system that had an i5 in it, everytime I opened task manager with chrome open, my CPU would skyrocket to 100% usage and severely lag to the point where I had to have the patience to get my pointer and click to exit chrome to stop it or shut off my computer entirely.  It didn't happen before but after some update I am sure.  It is worth mentioning that if you have a website open or extension that is mining cryptocurrency in the background, it would cause such usage.

Kolt L

Web developer

I came back to it this morning and it has seem to of sorted itself- chrome is only using 5% but yesterday I had no mining things open so I'm not sure what happened - but my CPU has been automatically overclocked to 4.3ghz - not sure what that's about xD

3 minutes ago, Gamer1012 said:

I came back to it this morning and it has seem to of sorted itself- chrome is only using 5% but yesterday I had no mining things open so I'm not sure what happened - but my CPU has been automatically overclocked to 4.3ghz - not sure what that's about xD

Thank you all for your help! :)