Laptop Frankenstein

My fathers gaming laptop's motherboard died, its been sent in for fixing and confirmed that motherboard is dead and nothing can be done.

Since I like to tinker and take things apart, I have done a bit of surgery and removed the CPU,GPU's,RAM and wifi module out of the dead laptop, along with other giblets.

I would like to repurpose these parts for a desktop for my little brother if possible.

I have already took the SSD and SSHD to use for my own desktop, the ssd was the same as my main C drive and I combined their forces for that sweet & speedy raid 0 :).

Salvaged parts

• Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2860QM (2.50GHz) 8MB
  • 12GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (3 x 4GB)
  • 2 x 1.5GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M - DirectX® 11 (SLI)
  • GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N130 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
  • 18.4" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
  • 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
  • A 2.0 Megapixel webcam
  • 5 speakers
  • 1 subwoofer

Is there any tech guru's wisdom you guys could impart on me that could help me make use of the parts I got, It would be pretty nice to use these parts for a neat little pc.

I also got a raspberry pi and an arduino, any ideas for cool projects?

I don't think there are any desktop boards that can take both a mobile 2nd gen i7, and an MXM GPU. Your best bet is to go find a new Alienware 18 motherboard online and rebuild it. You can check out the Notebookreview forum, there is a pretty active community there of guys who are into these older Alienware 18's, and it's pretty often that someone is selling parts.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

20 minutes ago, Papaj_G said:

I also got a raspberry pi and an arduino, any ideas for cool projects?

Almost nothing you picked out will be able to work with an arduino/rpi, possible just the webcam.

The only major thing I can  think of off the top of my head is getting a control board on ebay for 30 bucks, and hooking it up to your salvaged display.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

So if I get a compatible Laptop motherboard it would work? How similar is laptop building to a regular desktop, would attaching the GPU,CPU,RAM and a monitor through hdmi and finding a compatible power supply cable and brick just work?

Would the laptop motherboard use the hdmi screen or would it try to find its laptop screen like some sort of phantom pain.

Am willing to make this a little hobby project so I'd be willing to invest a little money and time to designing a shell of the laptop, gpu and cpu coolers, maybe ordering some CNC parts from somewhere or 3D printing something.

My uncle does own his own tattoo gun brand and has his own factory with a CNC machine maybe I could ask in a favour ;p.