Is my SSD dying?

Mrcrysis2000

Hi guys,

I have an Agility 3 120gb SSD i bought about a year or so ago now and it seems to be having a funny issue. it happens randomly but when im using the PC during boot the whole system crashes and is unable to do anything!, so i force restart and the BIOS is unable to pick up the SSD it picks up my 1TB Samsung HDD every time, i restart it like 7 times all with no luck so i have to turn off the PC and then start it again for the drive to be picked up. I have a ROG ASUS GENE V Motherboard and ive recently updated the bios to the newer version to see if it would help but it look like it hasn't, I've even tried new SATA cables and ports and even a new SATA power cable on my PSU in case it was that. all i can think is that the SSD is on its way out. Am i right? 

Thanks for all the help guys! :)

have you tried using a different SATA wire/port?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

ssds don't really die too often, check and see if you have a faulty sata cable if its not that try another sata port.

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

have you tried using a different SATA wire/port?

He did:

I've even tried new SATA cables and ports and even a new SATA power cable on my PSU in case it was that

Try using the OCZ SSD software to see if you can find the write usage and the SMART diagnostics. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

try using it on a different PC or switch cables and port

normally SSD begin to fail when you notice that is becoming slow

Use CrystalDiskInfo and/or HDSentinel to check the health of your drives. It is what I use.