Meshify C fan configuration and Cryorig R5 Ultimate

Mytre

Hello,  this is a picture of my current configuration: IMG_20180425_215905450_LL.jpg

the 2 front fans are 140mm ones, the fan on top is an exhaust also 140mm and there is one fan on the back that is a 120mm fan. All of them are arctic bionix , the 2 on the back share the same header , same as the 2 on the front. 

I currenlty have this issue where my R5 Ultimate which I expected to outperform the Evo 212 I had on my ryzen 1600x is having a higher idle temperature at atbout 40C , with an high temp of 60C without OC,  My evo 212 had lower idle temp on average of about 32 to 34C, and the highest temp was 54C.   This was before on a case with less fans  but same gpu anyway.  My question is , is that fan on the top as exhaust harming the performance of my cpu cooler? I just have it there as the back exhaust of my pc spits air directly into my main Monitor, And I dont want the only exhaust to be right on that monitor.

I'm gonna ask some really dumb questions and give you simple advice. I build PC regularly and very rarely but sometimes, I do a stupid mistake like:

First, are you sure you peeled off the sticker from the copper surface? Then, did you apply thermal paste?
Is your CPU header plugged in the right connector in your MOBO?
Do you have a "Quiet Profile" on that could trade performance for silence?
Did you screw the R5 tightly enough?

If all of the above is ok then to this:

Since you suspect the top fan of being the culprit, just run the PC with the top fan off and stress test
Maybe, even try reversing it and setting it as an intake and stress test

I don't know where you live, but if  you live in Mordor at the foot of Mt. Doom, you can expect Winter temps and Summer temps to have an impact on your temperatures.
So if you had your 212evo running during winter, maybe the season temperature is the parasyte variable messing with your temps.

Lemme hear your results when you done

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

19 minutes ago, Mytre said:

My question is , is that fan on the top as exhaust harming the performance of my cpu cooler?

And to answer this, I don't think so. I built a very similar PC to yours for my lil'bro: Corsair 400C with 2x 140mm intake and 2x 120mm exhaust (one top, one back) with a 212evo, an MSI gtx 1070 and a i3-8350k - and his temps at idle (30°c) and load (70-80°C) are pretty good.

Before, he had only 1x 140mm intake and 1x 120mm exhaust, his temps were meh and his PC was noisy. So the additional fans get only do good

Not my first rodeo, Im sure I removed the plastic thing under the cpu cooler, I had an evo 212 before. Screwing that cryorig cooler was a mess though, too big and had a hard time lining it up with the screws but I didnt see any thermal paste being outside of palce after tightening it up.   '

Fan performance I have my own profiles for fan, and they are agressive, as soon as the cpu reaches 60C it should push the fans to max, my main problem is asrock software for f tuning uses a weird cpu temp which so far with my testing it has shown that when Tdie temp from the cpu (which is the temp of the ryzen cpu without the offset) hits 60C , the motherboard cpu temp which governs the fan curves is about 40C or 45C, its weird, it might be just a delayed tdie to allow for smooth fan speeds?. but anyway the fans are agressive.   I do have noted that when I put the cpu fan which is the cryorig r5 stock fan at max speeds I can barely feel any wind or at least something from teh fan between the cooler and the fan on the back. So maybe that fan is really weak compared to the bionix ones ? 

I will however double check and maybe reapply thermal paste this weekend to make sure, but installing again the r5 ultimate is worst than reintalling an evo, too big and cant see if the cooler is lined up with the cpu die .

Also, have you tried multiple system monitoring programs?
Maybe, if you really get faulty information, the other programs could show you there's actually nothing wrong with the temps

3 minutes ago, HappyDog_420 said:

Also, have you tried multiple system monitoring programs?
Maybe, if you really get faulty information, the other programs could show you there's actually nothing wrong with the temps

I use hwmonitor to check all temps, f tuning also shows a Tdie that is the same as hwmonitor,  however when setting a fan curve its clear that the fan curves follow the cpu temp  which seems an arbitrary number? its weird to test but in one case where I set fans to be almsot idle until 55C and I saw Tdie reach almost 70C before I actually closed everything and forced the fans to work at 40c, I have sent asrock emails about it but no response.

I fixed this issue by forcing the fans to work with TCTL (which is an option on the asrock fan program, but not tdie ) and this solved this problem with fans except cpu fan which will not follow any temp but the motherboard cpu temp which makes no sense with the TDIE .  Its a big mess and stuff.

My main concern again is the idle temps of 40C with a room temp of about 24 to 22C on my meshify C . which is higher than my evo 212.  I will however reseat the heatsink and check this on the weekend and get back to you to see if that was the issue.! thanks.

1 hour ago, Mytre said:

My main concern again is the idle temps of 40C with a room temp of about 24 to 22C on my meshify C . which is higher than my evo 212.  I will however reseat the heatsink and check this on the weekend and get back to you to see if that was the issue.! thanks.

Don't look at idle temps. They are only good for telling if cooler is mounted and working correctly. Your system is only really idle right after boot. 40C is rather normal low-load (something like browsing or all your startup stuff loaded) temp. Its not bad, its normal for air cooler. If you want better idle temps, get AIO or custom loop. Load temps are what matter. Did you got temps with same method like stress testing or are those based on looking it after gaming session etc? You need to do consistent testing if you want to compare temps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv