Android with no google?

Hi LTT - 

So as of today I switched from my LG G5 to this iPhone 6S for the sole reason that I dispise google for being as creepy as it is. Apple does the same thing but not to the same extent. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/28/all-the-data-facebook-google-has-on-you-privacy

I really do miss android though, and I want to get back on that bandwagon as soon as possible but at the same time don’t want to be giving away stuff to google. Is there any android phone out there that isn’t super google embedded?

(Also I tried rooting my G5, but Verizon models can’t seem to be rooted)

Most custom firmware doesn't come with any Google apps. Lineage OS is probably one of the best out there that omits any Google related app.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

10 minutes ago, TheGermanEngie said:

Hi LTT - 

So as of today I switched from my LG G5 to this iPhone 6S for the sole reason that I dispise google for being as creepy as it is. Apple does the same thing but not to the same extent. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/28/all-the-data-facebook-google-has-on-you-privacy

I really do miss android though, and I want to get back on that bandwagon as soon as possible but at the same time don’t want to be giving away stuff to google. Is there any android phone out there that isn’t super google embedded?

There is, but it usually means going for a China-specific version of a given phone (from, say, Huawei or Xiaomi).  Either that or installing AOSP or Lineage OS on an existing device.

With that said, I'd find it a bit odd to object to Google's data collection (which I don't find all that creepy, even as an iPhone owner) but still throw support Google's way by running their operating system.  I'd say your voice will be heard the loudest if you buy an iPhone the next time around.

3 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I'd say your voice will be heard the loudest if you buy an iPhone the next time around.

Apple really isn't any better when it comes to telemetry and data collection. Either which way, his data is going to be collected no matter what unless he goes with a custom firmware.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

Apple really isn't any better when it comes to telemetry and data collection. Either which way, his data is going to be collected no matter what unless he goes with a custom firmware.

No, actually, it is.  It collects considerably less data.  It's not scanning your messages or web activity for the sake of ads (I think people overstate what Google is doing, but still).  Siri voice command data is completely anonymized where you'll usually have a clear history of it with Google Assistant.  And Apple Maps exists in part because Apple refused to honor Google's request to track the locations of users for various purposes.

I wish we'd get away from this "they're all just as bad" myth, because it's not only inaccurate, it's harmful to the cause of promoting improvements in privacy.  We should be rewarding companies and developers that place some value on privacy instead of throwing our hands in the air and pretending that we've already lost.

14 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I wish we'd get away from this "they're all just as bad" myth, because it's not only inaccurate, it's harmful to the cause of promoting improvements in privacy.

https://decentralize.today/apple-vs-google-vs-microsoft-which-company-handles-your-data-better-a7022bd452b1

Even though the companies have different business models, they collect most of the same information and use it the same way. They all collect personal information such as name, email address, credit card number and telephone number for use in their storefronts. If you email someone from your iCloud, Gmail/Inbox or Outlook account, Apple, Google or Microsoft will know what address you sent that email to.

---

All companies collect exact location data using a combination of your phone’s GPS, triangulating your location with cellular towers, and the location of any Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices you are connected to. All three smartphone OS’s allow you to turn off the GPS and Wi-Fi/Bluetooth based location, but your location is still registered with your cellular provider by triangulation.

---

Apple and Microsoft outright state they share your data with other companies, without explicitly asking permission. Google’s site states that they also share your data with other companies, but only if you consent to the sharing.

There's a reason why custom firmware such as LineageOS is becoming popular. Saying Apple is no better than Google is not throwing our hands in defeat when we have other avenues to explore.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

37 minutes ago, TheGermanEngie said:

Hi LTT - 

You could always buy a Chinese phone, they don't have Google because they banned them since Google refused to censor their searches, and they want to protect Baidu from American competition,  but then again they have the same issues, possibly even to a greater extent. You could also buy a blackphone 2, or just opt out of all the data tracking related services in android.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

just get a phone from aliexpress, any chinese brand is fine. You need to install google yourself, though lately the seller does it for you first. Send a message after ordering, saying you just want the phone without google play, but in your language.

China-only phones come with some limitations, such as missing bands and such (can be an issue for 4G), but without any google apps it'll be tracking much less than with them.

Then again, you'll have to find a way of installing the apps you need without google store (you can, directly with the apk, but takes longer), and those will track you too up to a certain point:|

in the apps permissions you can disable most of what can be bothersome, even with google on it. I've recently completly turned off Google Assistant, I found it way too creepy that the device is listening to you 24/24 for "ok google"...