FreeNas

35 minutes ago, jde3 said:

Am I solving a problem in a concise and efficient manner?  .not so often.

There is a lot more to it than having inefficiency in having extra kernels though, that I highlight above. If you only look at VM vs Jail vs Container etc you will more than likely not come out the other side with the most concise and efficient solution. It's nice to look at the little things but big picture matters more and efficiency there saves more resources and ensures a supportable system more than anything else. IT is complicated enough as it is, you need an extremely good reason to reinvent the wheel and it still needs to be round not nearly round.

Anyway not the place to continue this.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

There is a lot more to it than having inefficiency in having extra kernels though, that I highlight above. If you only look at VM vs Jail vs Container etc you will more than likely not come out the other side with the most concise and efficient solution. It's nice to look at the little things but big picture matters more and efficiency there saves more resources and ensures a supportable system more than anything else. IT is complicated enough as it is, you need an extremely good reason to reinvent the wheel and it still needs to be round not nearly round.

Anyway not the place to continue this.

Well.. don't get the idea that jails could only be used for a few guests. i think one would be quite surprised at what is possible. Buuutt.. ya.. some day we'll have it out.. some day muahahaha. ;) heh.

Right on man.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law