No sign-in error

AdamT-17

Hey so I have a slight issue about having to sign in to windows. I have tried off and back on again several times but no sign of that fixing anything. Sometimes when attempting to sign in, it restarts or other times it just crashes giving me a dpc_watchdog_violation and other times I have to hard shut down my computer. And sometimes if I do manage to sign in, it says windows defender has been disabled with it unable to open to open any applications.

Specs (that I can remember):

.It is a lenovo yoga 500

.4gb of ram

.It has not been overclocked, can't find   base speeds

.has an input voltage of 20v

Thanks for reading, Adam.

Edited by AdamT-17
Forgotten info

10 minutes ago, AdamT-17 said:

Hey so I have a slight issue about having to sign in to windows. I have tried off and back on again several times but no sign of that fixing anything. Sometimes when attempting to sign in, it restarts or other times it just crashes giving me a dpc_watchdog_violation and other times I have to hard shut down my computer. And sometimes if I do manage to sign in, it says windows defender has been disabled with it unable to open to open any applications.

Specs (that I can remember):

.It is a lenovo yoga 500

.4gb of ram

.It has not been overclocked, can't find   base speeds

.has an input voltage of 20v

Thanks for reading, Adam.

https://thewindowsplus.org/dpc_watchdog_violation/

2nd hit on google

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Hey thanks for the advice, much appreciated, but all of these methods require signing in. Yes, I can sign in but I can't actually open anything including the windows home screen. Even if anything does get started, it soon freezes or just closes. But as said before much appreciated!

45 minutes ago, AdamT-17 said:

Hey thanks for the advice, much appreciated, but all of these methods require signing in. Yes, I can sign in but I can't actually open anything including the windows home screen. Even if anything does get started, it soon freezes or just closes. But as said before much appreciated!

Hmmm...ok. Serious troubleshooting time.

(1) Do you have the latest BIOS for the system, or is it an older one? Updating it might be useful.

(2) Have you run MemtestX86 yet? If not, do so for a *minimum* of 24 hours. This will tell you if your RAM is at fault.

(3) Find the maker of your drive, and download (and run!) their drive toolset. Most have bootable ISOs you can use

(4) Run a liveCD of Linux. If it crashes or otherwise misbehaves, then we can be fairly certain it's a hardware issue.

(5) if the liveCD runs, then back up all your data to a USB stick or something. Just to be on the safe side

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

22 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Hmmm...ok. Serious troubleshooting time.

(1) Do you have the latest BIOS for the system, or is it an older one? Updating it might be useful.

(2) Have you run MemtestX86 yet? If not, do so for a *minimum* of 24 hours. This will tell you if your RAM is at fault.

(3) Find the maker of your drive, and download (and run!) their drive toolset. Most have bootable ISOs you can use

(4) Run a liveCD of Linux. If it crashes or otherwise misbehaves, then we can be fairly certain it's a hardware issue.

(5) if the liveCD runs, then back up all your data to a USB stick or something. Just to be on the safe side

1) I don't know frankly, is there any way to check.

2&3)Might help, but I might need some help using it

4&5)If you are suggesting using a cd/dvd drive, my laptop doesn't have one.

~Adam

39 minutes ago, AdamT-17 said:

1) I don't know frankly, is there any way to check.

2&3)Might help, but I might need some help using it

4&5)If you are suggesting using a cd/dvd drive, my laptop doesn't have one.

~Adam

These things work off a USB stick as well. I simply use the term "LiveCD" out of habit.

No offense, but I take it you are not a computer geek, just a guy (or girl) who uses their system? Nothing wrong with that at all, but if you are not a geek, then I will need to be much more detailed and precise.

On 09/05/2018 at 7:29 PM, Radium_Angel said:

These things work off a USB stick as well. I simply use the term "LiveCD" out of habit.

No offense, but I take it you are not a computer geek, just a guy (or girl) who uses their system? Nothing wrong with that at all, but if you are not a geek, then I will need to be much more detailed and precise.

Hi. I am a regular person that is into computers but doesn't have a lot of knowlege about them. However I do want to broaden my understanding of them. 

12 minutes ago, AdamT-17 said:

Hi. I am a regular person that is into computers but doesn't have a lot of knowlege about them. However I do want to broaden my understanding of them. 

Ok.

Step one: Do you have a spare PC that works, or one you can get access to?

If so, you need to make a bootable ISO of MemTestx86

Go here:

http://www.memtest.org/#screen

Download the .ISO (in .ZIP format) Should be the 2nd link on the page. Once downloaded, unzip it to some place you won't forget.

Then you'll want to download and run Rufus, from here:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

You will run Rufus and follow the instructions to make a bootable USB stick of the Memtest ISO you downloaded.

Once that is done, you'll want to boot your laptop from the USB stick you just created, and let it run for 24 hours minimum.

If the RAM is good in your laptop, let me know. If it's bad, let me know that as well, and then we can move on to the next step.

Sounds like a corrupted OS to me.

It's not a race to the bottom.

16 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok.

Step one: Do you have a spare PC that works, or one you can get access to?

If so, you need to make a bootable ISO of MemTestx86

Go here:

http://www.memtest.org/#screen

Download the .ISO (in .ZIP format) Should be the 2nd link on the page. Once downloaded, unzip it to some place you won't forget.

Then you'll want to download and run Rufus, from here:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

You will run Rufus and follow the instructions to make a bootable USB stick of the Memtest ISO you downloaded.

Once that is done, you'll want to boot your laptop from the USB stick you just created, and let it run for 24 hours minimum.

If the RAM is good in your laptop, let me know. If it's bad, let me know that as well, and then we can move on to the next step.

Hey! So yes i do have a spare pc but it does run early versions of wind 7, is that an issue? And (for clarification) download the zip file for memtest and put it in a safe place. Then get rufus to create the bootable iso.

1 hour ago, AdamT-17 said:

Hey! So yes i do have a spare pc but it does run early versions of wind 7, is that an issue? And (for clarification) download the zip file for memtest and put it in a safe place. Then get rufus to create the bootable iso.

Should not cause a problem.

And what I meant about unzipping the file is simply unzip it to a place you won't forget, because you'll need to remember that location for making the .ISO bootable with rufus

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Should not cause a problem.

And what I meant about unzipping the file is simply unzip it to a place you won't forget, because you'll need to remember that location for making the .ISO bootable with rufus

Alright. Hmm, I shall be able to start the process tomorrow afternoon. I am quite busy today. I shall let you know when i have installed the two softwares.