Network Crash When Xferring files for BU/HTPC

dapredator

Here's the set up.

2 PC's both hardwired to the same router. Both PC's next to one another. I mainly do everything from my main rig and transfer files over the wired network. The problem is when I transfer large files and sets of files (usually over 10gb's) the connection to the HTPC gets lost. I check whats going on and I get the little triangle warning that I have no internet access nor can I connect again to the HTPC from any means except directly using it. The only way I've been able to get it back to work is to restart the entire machine. From there I have to transfer the files slowly and in chunks which takes up time. I've used thumb drives mostly for my photos and projects, but its tidious doing 2 transfers when i can simply do 1. Lastly, I dont know why, but it doesnt always happen. I've done it plenty of times where the transfers go thru but other times, they just dont. I just dont get it.

Here's some info.

HTPC is as fresh as it can be. I have very little on it. I never have any activity on it except when using Plex and/or transferring photos and projects (when backing them up). That's usually once a month for the back ups, but plex is daily. Here's what I've done so far.

1 - I've tested PC to PC via ethernet. It works. I cant do that because my main rig is an ITX build. Only 1 pci-e slot.

2 - I've currently have the Folders shared to where I want them. I didnt do anything fancy with them just a simple share to network.

3 - I've tried Homegroup. Same issue.

4 - Drivers are updated

5 - bought a network card, same issue even with updated drivers.

6 - I have the following network set up  ::  Asus RT-AC66U_B1 router and a Netgear CM700 modem.

7 - Both machines are windows 10. Updated with latest drivers for everything I can think of.

8 - I have the sharing options set up within windows so I can see all my devices from any machine on the network.

9 - I'm no network pro nor noob but I have gone thru the router settings and I cant find anything that is causing the issue, but then again I dont understand everything under the network "hood"

I cant think of anything else. Please help. This is driving me nuts.

23 minutes ago, dapredator said:

Here's the set up.

2 PC's both hardwired to the same router. Both PC's next to one another. I mainly do everything from my main rig and transfer files over the wired network. The problem is when I transfer large files and sets of files (usually over 10gb's) the connection to the HTPC gets lost. I check whats going on and I get the little triangle warning that I have no internet access nor can I connect again to the HTPC from any means except directly using it. The only way I've been able to get it back to work is to restart the entire machine. From there I have to transfer the files slowly and in chunks which takes up time. I've used thumb drives mostly for my photos and projects, but its tidious doing 2 transfers when i can simply do 1. Lastly, I dont know why, but it doesnt always happen. I've done it plenty of times where the transfers go thru but other times, they just dont. I just dont get it.

Here's some info.

HTPC is as fresh as it can be. I have very little on it. I never have any activity on it except when using Plex and/or transferring photos and projects (when backing them up). That's usually once a month for the back ups, but plex is daily. Here's what I've done so far.

1 - I've tested PC to PC via ethernet. It works. I cant do that because my main rig is an ITX build. Only 1 pci-e slot.

2 - I've currently have the Folders shared to where I want them. I didnt do anything fancy with them just a simple share to network.

3 - I've tried Homegroup. Same issue.

4 - Drivers are updated

5 - bought a network card, same issue even with updated drivers.

6 - I have the following network set up  ::  Asus RT-AC66U_B1 router and a Netgear CM700 modem.

7 - Both machines are windows 10. Updated with latest drivers for everything I can think of.

8 - I have the sharing options set up within windows so I can see all my devices from any machine on the network.

9 - I'm no network pro nor noob but I have gone thru the router settings and I cant find anything that is causing the issue, but then again I dont understand everything under the network "hood"

I cant think of anything else. Please help. This is driving me nuts.

Is the router handing out IPs (DHCP) or are they static?

This is a weird long shot (this comes from an issue we had at work that was similar to your issue):

Check the power settings on the NICs. In our case one was set to "sleep" when not in use, but the definition of "not in use" seemed quite arbitrary. By making the NICs full power all the time, our transfer issue went away

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Your long shot was not in vain.

Before posting, I was noticing a straight 90%+ network usage on both ends with only the HTPC crashing. Now its fluctuating from as low as 10% to as high as 90% after the power save option was checked off.

So Yes, going to the network properties of the NIC and changing the power management from "sleep" to "full use" is currently working.

I'm about 30gb into the 200gb file transfer I'm testing.

Before posting, I was noticing a straight 90%+ network usage on both ends with only the HTPC crashing. Now its fluctuating from as low as 10% to as high as 90% after the power save option was checked off.

So Yes, going to the network properties of the NIC and changing the power management from "sleep" to "full use" is currently working.

Update - it worked. I had no issue what so ever. Transfer took long but I was expecting that. Thanks for the input. Couldn't have thought to check the power management.

I'll update this when I do another major back up/transfer.

On 5/7/2018 at 7:31 AM, dapredator said:

Update - it worked. I had no issue what so ever. Transfer took long but I was expecting that. Thanks for the input. Couldn't have thought to check the power management.

I'll update this when I do another major back up/transfer.

Sweet, glad it works :)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.