High Ambient Temperature Cooling Tips

7 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

From the California Permit guidelines it says you do not need a permit to install or replace a portable AC.

The reason behind the window unit is that if the frame cannot support the weight the AC could fall and kill someone. However, a portable AC doesn't actually add much weight to the window. Just the plastic piece that holds the very light tubing so the unit can exhaust the hot air outside. Alternatively you can cut a hole in the wall that goes to the exterior much like a dryer vent. Then just run the tubing there and seal around it.

I mean you can get a cheap Portable ac for about $120-150. They aren't as cheap or sometimes even as efficient as a full window unit, but they do work well. I have one in an upstairs room that has windows that open out to the sides instead of up and down... so a portable AC was all I could use.

Anyways I think you should actually call the regulating body and ask them. I have a feeling it won't be an issue at all. Hell nothing would even be hanging out the window... so I doubt it would ever be noticed anyways.

The city still considers it an install. Not only have I ran a real etate agency but personally tried to get through this with the city. Cali may be ok with it but city ordnance say otherwise.

3 hours ago, Karakofire said:

The city still considers it an install. Not only have I ran a real etate agency but personally tried to get through this with the city. Cali may be ok with it but city ordnance say otherwise.

Not sure how they can consider a "portable" item and install as it is not a permanent addition and on top of that does not modify anything I  the actual house hold to warrant any permits. The window unit is a fixed item that can plate undue strain on a window or "structure" a portable ac does not. The window unit poses a safety risk... the portable does not.

This would be like them telling me I can't use a water hose. I can understand them for example telling me I can't install say a sprinkler system, but this situation is pretty much identical to the portable unit vs a window unit.

I mean I guess you could get an evaporative cooler, but it would add a ton of moisture to your house and depending on the humidity there it could be almost ineffective at high humidity times.

This is one of the many problems I have with California. They have a bunch of stupid ordinances. If I own the house and land... then within reason I shouldn't need a damn permit or permission to put in a simple AC unit. Hell if it is my property even a window unit shouldn't matter as long as it isn't hanging over a public space.

On 5/8/2018 at 6:34 PM, AngryBeaver said:

Not sure how they can consider a "portable" item and install as it is not a permanent addition and on top of that does not modify anything I  the actual house hold to warrant any permits. The window unit is a fixed item that can plate undue strain on a window or "structure" a portable ac does not. The window unit poses a safety risk... the portable does not.

I hear you. Im not even allowed to put in those expandable screens. if i owned the building Id have a conniption fit. But i rent so there is not much I can do. 

Also i just installed the H7 because it was cheaper and fit my case. Ran unigine valley for an hour ambient temps at 30C highest core was at 45C and was overclocked to 3.9GHZ. Kinda cheated by putting my pc closer to my ac vent lol.

22 minutes ago, Karakofire said:

I hear you. Im not even allowed to put in those expandable screens. if i owned the building Id have a conniption fit. But i rent so there is not much I can do. 

Also i just installed the H7 because it was cheaper and fit my case. Ran unigine valley for an hour ambient temps at 30C highest core was at 45C and was overclocked to 3.9GHZ. Kinda cheated by putting my pc closer to my ac vent lol.

If you rent, then the landlord is probably under obligation to update the windows to the new standard. They are really strict like stuff like that here where I am. They send out inspectors every year to check all rent properties and provide a list of improvements or things that need to be done within like a 6 month period.

Heck in my state they made all the landlords with windows past a certain age update them for energy conservation reasons.

On 5/10/2018 at 1:29 PM, AngryBeaver said:

If you rent, then the landlord is probably under obligation to update the windows to the new standard. They are really strict like stuff like that here where I am. They send out inspectors every year to check all rent properties and provide a list of improvements or things that need to be done within like a 6 month period.

Heck in my state they made all the landlords with windows past a certain age update them for energy conservation reasons.

I'll look into it. But rent is cheap and if he does have to change them out i would want my rent to go up to  help cover his cost. Yes i know it may be illegal in some areas but i live in a month to month building and I only pay $350 for rent/utilites/and 250mbps internet. In short ill weigh my odds casue the next cheapest place in my area is $600 just for rent and thats out of my range rn.

14 hours ago, Karakofire said:

I'll look into it. But rent is cheap and if he does have to change them out i would want my rent to go up to  help cover his cost. Yes i know it may be illegal in some areas but i live in a month to month building and I only pay $350 for rent/utilites/and 250mbps internet. In short ill weigh my odds casue the next cheapest place in my area is $600 just for rent and thats out of my range rn.

Ya I would have killed for a deal of 350 for rent/util/internet when I was younger. Think the cheapest I ever got was 900/m which didn't include any utilities, but was also for a 3 bed/ 1.5 bath house.

Anyways I hope everything works out. 

Ok.... So I'm going to compile a list of things I've seen and put it here for people to look over and see if this works for them in keeping their pc cool in extreme temps.

• de-lid cpu and use better thermal compound/remove excess silicon seal
  • water cool if possible/comfortable or get the best air cooler you can
  • use the best thermal compound on the ihs that you can get/afford
  • optimize case air flow by removing hdd cages front/side panel and install case fans for positive pressure
  • move computer out of direct sunlight and to the coolest part of the room right underneath ac vent if possible
  • do not enclose case in a cabinet
  • circulate air in the room to prevent intake fan from sucking in the warmer exhaust air.
  • under clock/under volt cpu and gpu if you're comfortable with it.

If anyone wants to add or comment feel free.