IDE HDD Adapter

Hi, 

Looking to get some data off of an old hard drive, so I'll need an IDE adapter...

Not sure if i should get an IDE to SATA adapter or IDE to USB; here are my two options (they are the cheapest I could find in Australia)

1.https://www.fruugoaustralia.com/trixes-ide-to-sata-or-sata-to-ide-bi-directional-converter-adaptor-ata-100133/p-12693951-25960743?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgbGx0anm1wIVQYC9Ch0TQgFhEAkYAiABEgJwMfD_BwE

2.https://www.fruugoaustralia.com/digiflex-2535-sata-ide-to-usb-adapter-cable-for-hard-disk-hdd/p-12695079-25962253?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI--uQqKbm1wIVyBwrCh0PkgHHEAQYBSABEgKfcvD_BwE

I'm thinking that the SATA adapter might allow a faster file transfer over the USB? or am I mistaken...

Please let me know which one is the best option...

Also, in regards to the first adapter, I'm confused about the molex cable / port (on the adapter) provided, what is this used for? as IDE drives require a female molex for power, I don't understand what this one's for...

Thanks in advance!

CPU Intel i7 8700k; Motherboard AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0); RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000MHz C15; GPU eVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 Gaming iCX; Case Corsair Crystal 460X RGB; Storage Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB; PSU Corsair RM650x; Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HUA 27" WQHD 144Hz G-sync; Cooling Corsair H100i; Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB (Brown); Mouse ZOWIE EC2-A (400dpi); Sound Corsair Gaming H2100 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset; Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I would go for the usb version because it'll be easier to use. Maybe the molex is to provide extra power to the adapter because the SATA data doesn't provide enough?

I edit my posts a lot.

The molex cable on the first IDE/SATA adapter is to provide power to a SATA drive if IDE>SATA usage.

As for which to choose it is up to you. ATA100/133 will be faster than USB so you can choose that for speed. SATA/USB adapter on the other hand is more portable and convinient.

10 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

I would go for the usb version because it'll be easier to use. Maybe the molex is to provide extra power to the adapter because the SATA data doesn't provide enough?

9 minutes ago, Ross Scarlet said:

The molex cable on the first IDE/SATA adapter is to provide power to a SATA drive if IDE>SATA usage.

As for which to choose it is up to you. ATA100/133 will be faster than USB so you can choose that for speed. SATA/USB adapter on the other hand is more portable and convinient.

Alrighty, thanks for your input, i think i'll probably go for the sata one, simply because of the speed. 

So am I right in saying that I just connect a female molex cable(that came with my psu) to a 4-pin on my mobo and connect that to the HDD, and then connect the sata cable+adapter to the mobo and that's it? cheers

CPU Intel i7 8700k; Motherboard AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0); RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000MHz C15; GPU eVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 Gaming iCX; Case Corsair Crystal 460X RGB; Storage Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB; PSU Corsair RM650x; Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HUA 27" WQHD 144Hz G-sync; Cooling Corsair H100i; Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB (Brown); Mouse ZOWIE EC2-A (400dpi); Sound Corsair Gaming H2100 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset; Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit

11 minutes ago, Frazman00 said:

Alrighty, thanks for your input, i think i'll probably go for the sata one, simply because of the speed. 

So am I right in saying that I just connect a female molex cable(that came with my psu) to a 4-pin on my mobo and connect that to the HDD, and then connect the sata cable+adapter to the mobo and that's it? cheers

Only thing you need to plug into your motherboard is the SATA cable. Then connect your PSU's 4pin molex female to the adapter's male and hook up the IDE drive, thats it.

10 minutes ago, Ross Scarlet said:

Only thing you need to plug into your motherboard is the SATA cable. Then connect your PSU's 4pin molex female to the adapter's male and hook up the IDE drive, thats it.

Thank you very much!