My Dad lost all his Contacts on his Phone

WunderWuffle
Go to solution Solved by Puppet,

There should be an option to switch between sim/phone contacts in the menu of the contacts/phone app. Check both, if they aren't there then yeah they are probably gone.

Google allows you to sync contacts, but I believe you have to manually set this up.

First off, I'm not sure if I should put this thread in the "Mobile Devices" sub forum, or the "Trouble Shooting" sub forum.

Well, anyways, my dad lost all his contacts on his phone. He hasn't been using it for the last 2 hours, and before that, it was all normal. His phone is the Sony Ericsson X10a, and the carrier is T-Mobile. I've tried to take the SIM card out, but that didn't help. I'm not sure whether his contacts were stored on his phone or his SIM... If it helps, the phone has been unlocked.

Sorry if I didn't provide enough information. Just post a question and I'll try to answer it.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Was this the same SIM card and has it been in any other mobile phone? How'd he lose them manually delete?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Was this the same SIM card and has it been in any other mobile phone? How'd he lose them manually delete?

He's been using this phone for about 4 months, and it has been fine until now. It has been in another phone though. I just realized that he had his contacts on his SIM since he didn't have to add all his contacts to the X10 when he switched to this phone. I don't think he manually deleted all 300-ish of his contacts.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Did he transfer import/export them out?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Did he transfer import/export them out?

Nope.

He hasn't been using it for the last 2 hours, and before that, it was all normal.

Is there any setting to select where or not to view contacts from the phone memory or the SIM card? (There is on most of the phones I have used)

There should be an option to switch between sim/phone contacts in the menu of the contacts/phone app. Check both, if they aren't there then yeah they are probably gone.

Google allows you to sync contacts, but I believe you have to manually set this up.

Is there any setting to select where or not to view contacts from the phone memory or the SIM card? (There is on most of the phones I have used)

Im going to check right now.

Im going to check right now.

Cool, not sure how it works for Gingerbread IIRC there is a separate contacts app. Later versions have it all incorporated into the dialer sort of app.

But just checked my phone, recently upgraded and found that all my contacts were actually downloaded automatically from Google. My previous must have had them all saved to internal memory. So that could be good news.

If the above doesnt work make sure he is signed in and select the option to use Google contacts.

Thanks for the help guys. I marked Puppet's answer as solved because of the more in-depth answer. Sorry I didn't mark your answer as solved, Vertifai if I could mark more than 1 post as Solved, I would've marked yours too.

Thanks for the help guys. I marked Puppet's answer as solved because of the more in-depth answer. Sorry I didn't mark your answer as solved, Vertifai if I could mark more than 1 post as Solved, I would've marked yours too.

Did you find them?

Did you find them?

Yup. I just needed to turn View All Contacts on, and it showed all of my dad's contacts. I guess it was on Phone Contacts before...

Yup. I just needed to turn View All Contacts on, and it showed all of my dad's contacts. I guess it was on Phone Contacts before...

Cool, that's good news :). Just found that Whatsapp also syncs a certain amount of contacts on Android incase anyone else has similar problems.