Okay so I am in need of advise. Currently my setup includes a Freesync monitor (might affect decision). Anyway my specs are as follows: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4.1GHZ, R9 290X, 8GB DDR4 @ 3200Mhz. I'm close to selling it for $700-$800 because I need a new car by the time I enter College but I do want to keep gaming so I want to build a budget system with a nice upgrade path later on. Right now I'm looking at getting a setup with an X4 950 (B350 board for all setups) and an RX series card or a Ryzen 3 2200g or 2400g running on the iGPU. I can either upgrade the GPU later, or the CPU to a Zen + or Zen R7 later on. (note I am used to mid range systems and gaming). What would you guys suggest?

4 minutes ago, sergio.saenz_ said:

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4.1GHZ, R9 290X, 8GB DDR4 @ 3200Mhz.

that is pretty budget already, me thinks

5 minutes ago, sergio.saenz_ said:

Right now I'm looking at getting a setup with an X4 950 (B350 board for all setups) and an RX series card or a Ryzen 3 2200g or 2400g running on the iGPU. 

1. the X4 sucks because faildozer - please avoid. 

2. you sell your AM4 system and want to build another AM4 system ? where is the logic in that?

i guess you may have more money left if you sell your R9 and the Ryzen 5 1600, keep the mainboard and ram and just drop a 2200G on it so the system can still be used

13 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

that is pretty budget already, me thinks

1. the X4 sucks because faildozer - please avoid. 

2. you sell your AM4 system and want to build another AM4 system ? where is the logic in that?

i guess you may have more money left if you sell your R9 and the Ryzen 5 1600, keep the mainboard and ram and just drop a 2200G on it so the system can still be used

$800 system is NOT budget in my book. The reason I'll sell it is cause I got an offer. The X4 is pretty shit but close to 5ghz is stock R3 performance. Selling parts individually is hard where I'm from but an Idea I can try. Thank you.

I would do what @KenjiUmino said or sell the system now, buy your car and work a bit over the summer and invest in a decent laptop, since you’ll prolly want one for college anyways. 

Make the decision if you want an external gpu or not (makes it lightweight) but can be inconvenient 

that way you can sell your monitor(s) too

21 minutes ago, sergio.saenz_ said:

$800 system is NOT budget in my book. The reason I'll sell it is cause I got an offer

you may get $800 for your current system but if you want a replacement system that does not blow up or look like a dumpster find - you may need at least 300 to 400 bucks because of how crazy expensive everything is. 

it goes rougly like:

$ 50 power supply that is not a fire hazard

$ 40 budget case that does not bend and warp as soon as you look at it funny 

$ 70 B350 mainboard with decent OC headroom (or any OC headroom) 

$ 70 AM4 quad core apu

$ 80 8gb fast DDR4 ram  

$100 storage HDD and system SSD or SSHDD (single HDD for system and games would be cheaper but only go that route if you are a masochist) 

that does not leave much for your car

2 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

you may get $800 for your current system but if you want a replacement system that does not blow up or look like a dumpster find - you may need at least 300 to 400 bucks because of how crazy expensive everything is. 

it goes rougly like:

$ 50 power supply that is not a fire hazard

$ 40 budget case that does not bend and warp as soon as you look at it funny 

$ 70 B350 mainboard with decent OC headroom (or any OC headroom) 

$ 70 AM4 quad core apu

$ 80 8gb fast DDR4 ram  

$100 storage HDD and system SSD or SSHDD (single HDD for system and games would be cheaper but only go that route if you are a masochist) 

that does not leave much for your car

I do agree at least $400 is necessary but I do have another $2k saved and making about $600 a week at my current part time. How much are SSHDD usually? I've heard of them but don't really know how they work.

3 minutes ago, sergio.saenz_ said:

I do agree at least $400 is necessary but I do have another $2k saved and making about $600 a week at my current part time. How much are SSHDD usually? I've heard of them but don't really know how they work.

You're making $31,000 a year working part-time?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

6 hours ago, sergio.saenz_ said:

I do agree at least $400 is necessary but I do have another $2k saved and making about $600 a week at my current part time.

with 2k on hand and 600 bucks a week - shouldn't it be possible to save enough to afford a decent used car by the time college starts WITHOUT touching the PC at all ? 

6 hours ago, sergio.saenz_ said:

How much are SSHDD usually? I've heard of them but don't really know how they work.

SSHDs are regular spinning platter HDDs with a small SSD (like 8+ GB) on top that is used as a cache - files you use a lot (like the OS) get loaded to the SSD for faster access times - this happens transparent so the OS only sees one large hard drive. 

6 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

with 2k on hand and 600 bucks a week - shouldn't it be possible to save enough to afford a decent used car by the time college starts WITHOUT touching the PC at all ? 

6 hours ago, Ezzy-525 said:

You're making $31,000 a year working part-time?

Well minus taxes its quite a bit less but yes, I work as a waiter at a busy restaurant. It would be possible if I did not have a girlfriend and an apartment to pay for. 

6 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

SSHDs are regular spinning platter HDDs with a small SSD (like 8+ GB) on top that is used as a cache - files you use a lot (like the OS) get loaded to the SSD for faster access times - this happens transparent so the OS only sees one large hard drive. 

And how much in terms of boot up times and such do they compare to HDDs and SDDs?

1 minute ago, sergio.saenz_ said:

Well minus taxes its quite a bit less but yes, I work as a waiter at a busy restaurant. It would be possible if I did not have a girlfriend and an apartment to pay for. 

can you trade in the girlfriend for a new car ?

1 minute ago, KenjiUmino said:

can you trade in the girlfriend for a new car ?

Haha depends on how much girlfriends are going for these days

Just now, sergio.saenz_ said:

Haha depends on how much girlfriends are going for these days

try "slightly used, never overclocked" in the description - that is how some ebay folks sell their worn down graphics cards. 

... or even better: slap a new shiny cooler on and act like you sell a way better, newer and more powerful model (model - y'know - bad puns 'n' stuff) - that is how the chinese do it. 

7 minutes ago, sergio.saenz_ said:

And how much in terms of boot up times and such do they compare to HDDs and SDDs?

if the system has already been booted and used a few times and all the important stuff has been cached, the system should operate at SSD speed.

if you are accessing files that have not been cached yet you are down to HDD speed

53 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

if the system has already been booted and used a few times and all the important stuff has been cached, the system should operate at SSD speed.

if you are accessing files that have not been cached yet you are down to HDD speed

Sounds great. I'll look more into it and try to sell my CPU and GPU. And look into SSHD.